Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bennylaird View Post
    A full size replica Avro504K, mainly wood and canvas, but such a lovely aircraft.

Realistically, Grandperson clock.
    Well there you go Benny, 3 things in common - woodwork, we're Librans and love of aircraft . You wouldn't consider building a Mosquito? You're right tho, the 504 is a beautiful thing.

I'd like to build one of the heirloom toolchests out of the toolbox book.

Cheers
    Michael

I have both just 4km down the road, a replica 504 and a Mossy in the process of rebuild at the RAAF Museum.

And a toolchest for the kids is another one I want to do.

Quote Originally Posted by echnidna View Post
    A kitchen is basically easy to make.

Whether faceframe cabinets or small boxes all screwed together.

Laminex is easy to work with a router.

The main tools you need are a straightedge and power saw, electric drill with drill & driver bits and a small router and bits if you are going to make laminex benchtops.

Reckon a heap of melamine faced chipboard is a good swap for a 4 barrel carby.
    Boxes - lotsa boxes Just think how good I should be at dovetails after doing the whole kitchen with dovetailed drawers :eek:

Router - Tick
    Drill - Tick
    I'm halfway there

Lignum - that would be one amazing cabinet!!!!

cheers
    Wendy

I'd really like to design and build the perfect steam car, with an ultra economical boiler and a carbon fibre body with real wood trim and leather upholstery. A pipe dream really, ADRules prevent anyone from being individual, the oil and motor companies stifle all competition, and anyone who tries to be different has all the obstacles known to man and beast thrown in front of them.
    Cheers
    Graeme

Benny,
    I'm working at RAAF Williams at Laverton, and in the SNCO Mess there is the original propellor off some plane that was the first to fly from the UK to Australia... it had to be put down in the desert to fix a cracked prop, and they repaired it with some corrugated iron, rebalanced it and kept going.
    Do you know the one? An Avro???

A great story... "Yep, she's cracked, but I'll just fix her up with this and she'll be right as rain"...

Oh, a project....
    at the moment its fake (hollow) beams for the ceiling in our bedroom, and to finish restoring the bloody table the missus bought before she kills me.... everything else can wait as SWMBO is about to question my need for buying tools! :eek:
    Cheers,
    Clinton

"Use your third eye" - Watson

http://www.flickr.com/photos/clinton_findlay/

Quote Originally Posted by Clinton1 View Post
    Benny,
    I'm working at RAAF Williams at Laverton, and in the SNCO Mess there is the original propellor off some plane that was the first to fly from the UK to Australia... it had to be put down in the desert to fix a cracked prop, and they repaired it with some corrugated iron, rebalanced it and kept going.
    Do you know the one? An Avro???

A great story... "Yep, she's cracked, but I'll just fix her up with this and she'll be right as rain"...

Oh, a project....
    at the moment its fake (hollow) beams for the ceiling in our bedroom, and to finish restoring the bloody table the missus bought before she kills me.... everything else can wait as SWMBO is about to question my need for buying tools! :eek:
    Ross and Keith Smith did that one I believe.

In a Vickers Vimy. You can see a replica of it at Adelaide Airport.

Quote Originally Posted by Clinton1 View Post
    Oh, a project....
    at the moment its fake (hollow) beams for the ceiling in our bedroom,
    Dont forget to brace them well enough to support the weight of the mirror

A Vickers Vimy... think thats the one. I'll have to read the history note that hangs up beside it... the original aircraft (minus the propellor the Sgt's scored ) is in the Laverton Museum and is restored??

Mirror on the ceiling.... ... nahhh... I've thinking of putting up pictures of myself in 'heroic' poses.
    Cheers,
    Clinton

"Use your third eye" - Watson

http://www.flickr.com/photos/clinton_findlay/

I would like to make one of those all wooden clocks with wooden cogs etc. I have seen the plans but the expertise is beyond me at present. Maybe one day
    Terry B
    Armidale

The most ineffective workers will be systematically moved to the place where they can do the least damage - management.
    --The Dilbert Principle

Did you know that the replica was actually flown from the UK to Oz.?
    confused:

True story.

Had a few minutes spare today, so I did a bit of a doodle of the sort of thing I'd love to build... a single seater open-wheel woodie, like the boat-tail roadsters of the 20's and 30's!

Cheers,
    Andy Mac
    Change is inevitable, growth is optional.

Default Kitchens & Boxes

I have to agree with Ruffy - I want to build a kitchen (for my sweet SWMBO). From raw timber! All the frames, shelves, doors, drawers, smart storage ideas, etc, etc. The whole shebang. And with brushed stainless steel kickboards and polished concrete benchtops. And I'm gunna do it too........soon as I build the cottage. Then when I get my very own workshop/shed I'm gunna make fancy little inlay boxes. Sigh.

• Dovetail boxes
    • A piece of work that is truly mine that I am proud of
    • Like Flowboy, a difference
    • To make others happy through my work
    • a piece that is tactile as well as visually pleasant

And finally, accept that as a fisher king that the grail is always within reach and to work to truly appreciate the beauty that is in all of us.

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| |^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
    | .....BIGGER ......._____| | ...BEER TRUCK.....| ||´|";,___.
    |_..._...__________/====|_..._..._______==|=||_|__|..., ] -
    "(@)´(@)"""´´" *|(@)(@) "(@)´(@)"""´´"*|(@)(@)****(@)

Andy Mac how soon before I place an order, just love it much better fun than a kitchen esp. if the bobtail came in kit form. True story.... years ago we stayed with a family in Tennessee USA and he was building 2 Cobra kit cars. Why two asks I? "weeaall I coudend deecide whart wars beest soos I boort em both."Silly bugga was building em in his basement then demolish half the garden including 120 year old Oak & Dogwood trees to get them out.

sorry for hijacking the thread Tony
    I would love to grow my own food, but I can not find bacon seeds

I'd really like to build a musical instrument of some sort. That guitar course at Monsalvat looked good at the show.

Quote Originally Posted by bennylaird View Post
    A full size replica Avro504K, mainly wood and canvas, but such a lovely aircraft.
    When I first started work as an apprentice at Qantas, I was fortunate enough to work on restoring a 504K. From memory, they found the original Qantas airframe with a different engine in it, and had to find a Gnome rotary to match the original. To celebrate Qantas' 40th birthday, Hudson Fysh was going to take off & fly past the terminal, apparently DCA approved it but qantas decided it was too risky, so he just taxied past.

Also did a bit of work on the Bleriot that delivered the 1st air mail while at tech.
    Visit my website
    Website
    Facebook