Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by damian View Post
    First cox:
    They USED to be bullet proof. The stockman was the best machine in class for decades. ?
    This is why I like my old Cox stockman...I usually try to mow before the scrub gets too far overhead ...
    Apart from it surviving it's occasional use as a stump grinder..I like that the complete, drive / clutch / brake assembly can be replaced in less than 10 mins

what if the hokey pokey is really what it's all about?

If your going for self propelled consider the genuine honda engined 21" machines. They are cheap as chips nowdays. I often use my 18" rover self propelled to do my yard rather than drag our the ride on. I can get into corners better and of course have the catcher option.

SP's are 100 times easier than a push mower.

Having said that depending on how many obstacles you have and how steep that slope a smaller ride on is a good option. An old cox if you can find one will knock it over about twice as quick as your push mower and 1/10 the effort.

The 3 on ebay at the moment are too late, don't buy those.

If you were in qld I'd recommend this:

Rover Ride on Mower | eBay

anyway...
    I'm just a startled bunny in the headlights of life. L.J. Young.
    We live in a free country. We have freedom of choice. You can choose to agree with me, or you can choose to be wrong.
    Wait! No one told you your government was a sitcom?

Have had alook at a second hand John Deer Ride on, model L120.

A well looked after unit with a 48"cut. Don't think I will buy it- Just a bit too big.

Damien_ I've looked at the Hond 21"" cut models as you suggested. I think that is the way to go.

It's a pity your not near me, I'd be quite happy to let you have a go at my rover self propelled.

In fact I'd let you mow the whole lawn as many times as you needed to in order to be sure....

Sorry, couldn't resist....

The difference in price between the genuine honda engined ones and the others isn't big enough to bother about. Conversely with ride ons the difference between name brands and not can be large.

Hope it works out well for you
    We live in a free country. We have freedom of choice. You can choose to agree with me, or you can choose to be wrong.

You reckon about 1000 sqm and are still considering walking behind a mower? My last place was on 1000 sqm block and I too used a push mower, first a second hand Victa 2-stroke (till it Chernobled) then a 20" Rover. It still took me 3 hours and I was pretty weary by the end. Then I changed jobs and could afford to buy a ride on; hence the Toro. I did some pretty extensive looking at John Deere, Greenfield, McCullough and Paulen Pro before settling on the Toro; the dealer reducing the price and chucking in a tilting trailer may have helped with that decision too!

You reckon a 48" is a bit too big? My current property is roughly 1500 sqm and while the Toro is a 44" cut it still takes me a couple of hours but at least I'm sitting down with a drink whilst doing it! Heel and toe drive makes manouvering around all the bloody trees a bit easier and I often mow while towing the trailer so I can pick up all the fallen branches. If I was buying new again I'd go bigger, but I reckon I've got a few years or so before I have to worry about the trade-in value.

I'm slowly changing the landscape to ease the mowing pain; putting mulch down around tree trunks to allow a larger turing circle; mulching all the boundries so I don't need to whipper-snip as much and cutting down all low branches so I don't have to duck anymore. I'd like to get to the stage where the push mower can be sold!

When we first moved out here to our 1 acre block MIL let me have a very old Victa that was well and truly worn out. A mate oned me his Rover ride on, the one that had a "hoop" steering. It had such a big turning circle that I eventually bought a Masport that had a 24" cut and 3 wheels. (2wheel barrow wheels at the back and a dolly/castor wheel at the front. With a 5Hp Briggs and super maneuverable it tamed our block and the job was fairly quick to do.
    2004 came and I had a few dollars and bought a 22" self propelled Rover with a 6Hp Briggs. I half hoped that the women folk may have took up the mowing especially since the new mower was self propelled. Did not work out. But the mower with a mulching doover attached is great. I am more than pleased with it.
    Just a thought for you Arthur, to use a self propelled, gives you the exercise with out the effort of pushing. Your doctor would be pleased with you doing the exercise and you could do your lawn mowing over a couple of days rather than busting yourself in one session.
    I weigh about 20 stone (and would make a ride on bog in just carrying me around) and with that in mind and the price makes a self propelled mower a logical choice. I could have had a Honda on this mower for a hundred or so more, But the Briggs so far has been good.
    Does it really matter how fast you can do your lawns when being retired allows you to have more time?
    Just do it!

Kind regards Rod

Default Nrb

Just a thought Chambezio,Retirement does not mean cut the grass all the time,there are heaps more things to take my time like work in the tool room grand kids and friends, heaps more.

Quote Originally Posted by nrb View Post
    Just a thought Chambezio,Retirement does not mean cut the grass all the time,there are heaps more things to take my time like work in the tool room grand kids and friends, heaps more.
    In a round about way that is what I was saying. Because you have more time to do things why not fit the lawn mowing in amongst the things you like to do. You know , half an hour today may be an hour tomorrow. Thats the sort of thing I meant
    Just do it!

Kind regards Rod

Quote Originally Posted by artme View Post
    Have had alook at a second hand John Deer Ride on, model L120.

A well looked after unit with a 48"cut. Don't think I will buy it- Just a bit too big.

Damien_ I've looked at the Hond 21"" cut models as you suggested. I think that is the way to go.
    I have a John Deere LA115 .we're on a few acres here and I'm more than happy with this easy to service plenty of greasing points on axles/steering. I got a tipping trailer with mine ,real handy for around the yard & gardens.

We're also in the bush so getting around is no problem even with 42" cutting deck.I bought the Hydrostatic model so that SWMBO can have a drive whilst I'm in the shed.
    I also have the grass catchers which could be mounted on the tail end of the machine but really no good in my situation in the bush ,being bulky alright in the open I reckon.

Cheers
    Johnno

Everyone has a photographic memory, some just don't have film.

Default Nrb

Chambezio
    No worrys mate .

Arrow

You are right about the exercise Rod, a self propelled wil keep me honest.

I am canny enought to mow across the slope, partly because of a heart problem and partly because of a bad back.

Toro makes a model with an infinitely variable speed. Sounds interesting.

JohnDeere and Honda both have 3 speed models an some others are only single speed. Just have to sort ou which is best.

You are right about the exercise Rod, a self propelled wil keep me honest.

Keep in mind I'm mowing about the same area as you and I have both. I use the self propelled more often than the ride on. My sp is 18", the one your proposing to get will probably be 21" which makes a BIG difference. Yeah they take a bit longer than a ride on in the open spaces, but they cut the brush cutting right down by getting in where you won't take a ride on. They also make shorter work around trees.

Toro makes a model with an infinitely variable speed. Sounds interesting.

JohnDeere and Honda both have 3 speed models an some others are only single speed. Just have to sort ou which is best.

I don't quite understand what your saying here. Speeds don't matter much. My ride on has 5 plus reverse and I use reverse, 2nd and 5th, with occasional 1st. If your talking about self propelled you'll probably end up using one or at most 2 speeds.

2c.

Arrow

Picked the Toro up Yesterday. Have yet to fire it up in anger!

One reason for choosing this mower was price, about $400 less than the equivalent Honda powered job. Maybe not as robust as some but, like everything, if treated well it will last me through.

Which one did you buy ? What model ?

Damien: Toro 22" Recycler : 7.25 B&S Motor. This 7.25 refers to the torque. The self propelling drive on this unit is referred to as "Personal Pace". As you push the speed control handle down the pace you need to walk increases.

You can choose to mulch, catch or windrow the cuttings. Has a spot in the chasis where you can plug the hose in and wash the under side as the blades rotate. Good feature

Only drawback so far is the fact that you need to set the height of each wheel individually.