Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pond sealing?

Just about to move my small fish pond. In the past I have used black plastic!! 2 layers put in the hole. Had no problems with it for 3 years until I was doing a little building and dropped a piece of wood in it with a nail sticking out . Next day very little water left, mind you most of the fish survived, tough little buggers. This time however will use proper rubber as having to fix the lining was a huge PITA and I'm sure black plastic won't last a long time, especially exposed to UV. I will cover my pump with rocks as suggested previously. The bricks may be a problem with the rubber but you can use carpet underlay under the rubber.
    Cheers
    McBlurter

thanks for all the replies guys gives me something to think about but i might be weighing up another option first... cheers

Moonta Bay in the Copper Triangle, S. Australia

Bleedin' Thumb has good advice as usual.

I would go to Bunnies and take a look at the "poly" ponds they have there first if I were you. They are around the same dimensions and I think you'll get one very close to it in their nursery section. Dig the appropriate hole, a bed of sand to sit the pond on, and back fill with the soil, and then fill with water at the same time to counter any bending of the walls. No leaks to ever worry about. If it rains a lot where you are, drill a few small holes below the the top of the walls for overflow, or your fish may go over the side.
    Buzza.

"All those who believe in psycho kinesis . . . raise my hand".

Forget coatings, go for the best butyl liner you can afford. I have a pond that got done in concrete which invitably leaked. I tried all sorts of sealants but none worked. Ended up putting in a liner which did the trick. I lined the concrete with carpet underfelt to prevent any cuts in the liner.
    Whatever note you blow youre never more than a semitone away from the correct one....(Miles Davis)