Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy John View Post
    Maybe you should put this book on your Christmas wish list. It may lead to more doors being opened for you .

Piccy
    Seems he prefers:

"How to Lose Friends and Alientate People"

Quote Originally Posted by Groggy View Post
    Those messages do appear fairly regularly. There is no common denominator that I have been able to notice. Time of day varies, ISP varies. Dunno, but it does happen, most certainly, you are not the only one.
    I find that at about 4PM and just on Midnight (AEST) are the times it bogs. I assume that midnight is maintenance, dunno about the 4PM. (Hmmm... I just checked the time on his post: 4:14. )

In either case, it's just a case of waiting for around 5-10 minutes and things are back to normal. I guess I could spend that time in a frenzied click-fest to try and log in, then complain about "I tried a hundred times" but...
    I may be weird, but I'm saving up to become eccentric.

- Andy Mc

Default Yes well....

see next message
    Last edited by HammaHed; 8th August 2009 at 12:31 AM. Reason: repeat of latter message

Quote Originally Posted by HammaHed View Post
    In the area I live in - Thanks to Telstra's sheathing of the cables with paper mache and white ants; every time it rains on and off for 3 days - a lot of internet things grind to an crawl.

AND as one tech friend said, "If we want to know where all the customers are going to be calling in from about connection problems (across the entire continent), all we have to do is watch the weather radars and rain fall patterns.......
    We have trouble with the internet when it rains heavy too. But the message for that is different. Can't even get onto google then.
    anne-maria.
    T
    ea Lady

(White with none)
    Follow my little workshop/gallery on facebook. things of clay and wood.

Default Yes well....

Quote Originally Posted by Groggy View Post
    Those messages do appear fairly regularly. There is no common denominator that I have been able to notice. Time of day varies, ISP varies. Dunno, but it does happen, most certainly, you are not the only one.

The best way to find out why this occurs is for people to post useful information that Steven can use to figure out what may be going on.

What link
    ISP
    date and time
    browser
    maybe connection type or other info would help.

As this information was collected over a long period it may give a clue as to what the problem is.
    I'd be quite happy to help out... BUT on face value, what I noted was exactly what I am getting.

"The ability to "latch" into the server or to negotiate a proper connection in a timely manner" seems to be the issue.

I have an extensive array of tools I can use to probe the connection, but I have some really full on schedules (limited time to reallocate), and would be willing to go after the issue; IF I had a greater understanding of what exactly it is I would be probing for....

From my limited understanding of this specific issue, at face value - the message from the server may indeed mean exactly that - AND it may simply be a combined timing issue and limited free connections.

However from the outset, I'd imaging it would be easier to go through the server records, for all the dropped connections - or reroutings presumably through overload; or look at how many times the message has been sent (groupings are easier to find).

In the area I live in - Thanks to Telstra's sheathing of the cables with paper mache and white ants; every time it rains on and off for 3 days - a lot of internet things grind to an crawl.

AND as one tech friend said, "If we want to know where all the customers are going to be calling in from about connection problems (across the entire continent), all we have to do is watch the weather radars and rain fall patterns.......

However - in the last few months.... most of the other connections have been fair to fast - it's only this site that has been dropping out / erratic.

As far as I can see there have been no forum dropouts, timeouts or anyother sort of outs from this end for the last week or so. Other than around mid night.

I log onto this forum at least once a day, sometimes more .
    In the last couple of years I have had that message come up maybe 4 times. Two of those times were in the last fortnight.
    I just go and look at the latest tool listings on the old tool sites for 10 minutes or so then try again and I get in, who cares, it certainly doesnt spoil my day.

I have had it probably 6-8 times in the last few weeks, especially around lunchtime whilst trying to log on from work, on a break of course.

Have just gone and done something else and tried later.
    "Rotten to the Core"

I check the posts in the morning then leave it to scroll on ispy for the rest of the day and at least twice (sometimes more) times a day I get a timed out message.

So I leave it for a 1/2 to an hour and I can then log back on.
    Don't force it, use a bigger hammer.

Timber is what you use. Wood is what you burn.

Quote Originally Posted by rotten_66 View Post
    I have had it probably 6-8 times in the last few weeks, especially around lunchtime whilst trying to log on from work, on a break of course.

Have just gone and done something else and tried later.

Hi there

I posted in another thread, we had a few scripts that have been run every day at about lunch time for almost 2 years. They have started causing some load issues over the last 2 weeks, before that they wouldn't make a noticeable difference.

We're also preparing some big hardware upgrades that will come online over the next 3 - 4 days.

The server busy message isn't there to annoy new users or force people to reload the page 50 times. It is displayed when the servers are not keeping up with whats required of them. It dramatically cuts down the number of database queries until the server load decreases to a more normal level. Its better than load running out of control and causing them to crash.

regards
    Steve
    --
    Woodwork Forums
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. It's free and only takes 37 seconds!

hello hammahead, although i am not a big user mainly because of time i have never had any prblems at all , sorry i did once but that was my fault , maybe you might need to tweak the computer up a bit . cheers peter

Quote Originally Posted by checkerflight View Post
    hello hammahead, although i am not a big user mainly because of time i have never had any prblems at all , sorry i did once but that was my fault , maybe you might need to tweak the computer up a bit . cheers peter
    Server busy messages do happen, they have been occurring a little to often over the last couple of weeks. We've been working on a resolution since the 2nd of August, I hope to role it out over the next couple of days.

Any problems can be report direct to the below contacts or posted here:

Neil - the ubeaut guy, all of you should know who he is.

Myself
    Email: [email protected]
    Phone: 1300 792 296
    Mobile: 0409 363 067 ( please check time zones before calling me )
    Steve
    --
    Woodwork Forums
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. It's free and only takes 37 seconds!

Quote Originally Posted by HammaHed View Post
    However - in the last few months.... most of the other connections have been fair to fast - it's only this site that has been dropping out / erratic.
    Hide like a Rhino as well.

So show us some of your work HammaHed. What sort of woodworking are you into? Turning? Cabinets? Renovating? Pens? Dark Side? The opposite of that? (lightside??) I'd love to read your contributions around WOODWORKING.

He's into turning chopsticks.
    To grow old is inevitable.... To grow up is optional

Confidence, the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.

What could possibly go wrong.