Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Ho Bob,

Crikey mate you have been in the wars lately. And what everyone else said, you are so lucky, a bit closer to the door when you tripped and a different outcome for sure. Must have been an ordeal for your poor wife as well.

I have two tall panels of glass by the front door, quite thin, one with a crack it it and they just about fall out if the wind grabs the door and slams it shut. Keep thinking, 'I am going to wear that glass one day'. Might be a good reminder to swap it out for some laminated panels. So thanks for the incentive.

Don't have a dog to fall over but alcohol has been known to be consumed on the premises, a little bit.

Hope you heal soon, and swap that door out.

Cheers
    Pops

Default Dark

G'day Y'all,
    I had bad leg cramps ( Charlie Horses) until my Dr . told me to drink Tonic water, no alcohol. It has quinine in it. Tastes horrible until you get used to it, then it only tastes terrible. Start with a litter a day.
    Regards
    Joe
    <style type="text/css"> <!-- @page { margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } --> </style> Politicians are like diapers.
    They need to be changed for the same reasons.

thanks for all the sympathy fellas. The injuries from the glass are currently a bit of a side issue. As well as the pulled muscle I had a professional commitment in Toowoobma I had to deal with on, so on monday I flew drove to Toowoomba and came back wednesday night. During this time the low level flu I had running in the background has flared, almost certainly because I just pushed every thing so far. Anyway I'm not at home in bed!

On hearing my croaky voice and seeing my bandages and bruises, and drawn face, said, "You look like you've had a rough time?"
    I just said you wouldn't believe it if if I told you.

jredburn, I have tried the tonic water method but it has not really worked. The crampeze seems to be working so far.

Went to the docs today to have the stitches removed - all seems to healing well. I just wish this flu would leave me alone. I was awful last night, luckily my swollen nose from the dive through the glass door is subsiding so I can now half breathe through it. I could do without this hacking cough and bringing up the odd green slug every now and then.

The pulled leg muscle is still giving me gyp - can't walk on if without limping and I get a sharp pain after walking ~50 m.

The doc was too busy to treat me today for these ailments so it's back again on Monday - lucky I am not sick

Only just caught up with this thread - glad to see that you are on the mend and nothing permanent from your header through the door apart from some scars you can embellish with the grandkids.

Timely reminder re the non safety glass and how easily you can come to grief. Go buy a lottery ticket and enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob38S View Post
    Only just caught up with this thread - glad to see that you are on the mend and nothing permanent from your header through the door apart from some scars you can embellish with the grandkids.

Timely reminder re the non safety glass and how easily you can come to grief. Go buy a lottery ticket and enjoy.
    Thanks Bob.

It's bizarre because at work I am very OSH aware and even in the shed things have improved markedly over the years (for example one end of my new shed is built with fireproof materials so I can weld/grind etc) but once inside the house things tend to get a bit casual.

Talking about fireproof - I was feeling a bit better this afternoon so I headed off to the hardware to pick up a couple of fixings and remembered I still had some gift vouchers from my birthday. After wandering through the tool section nothing grabbed my attention so I headed over to fixings and on my way I walked past the fire extinguishers. I already have a 1 kg extinguisher in the shed but given how accident prone I have become I decided to put the vouchers towards buying a 2.3 kg unit. With any luck I won't need it but I feel a bit better having it on hand just in case.

Default Glad you are getting ok....

Bob, I am really glad you are getting ok again. I suffered with continual night cramps to my feet and sometimes calves as well for over 20 years and this was with taking minerals including magnesium. When I moved here my new doctor put me on Blackmores S.79 Silicon dioxide 33mg twice a week. The dose was increased to thrice weekly and it works a treat. If I forgert to buy the S.79 from my doc I just go to a health shop and ask for it.

Marg.

rogerjenkins Guest

Reminds me of a mate some years ago at his Birthday party, of all places,- who managed an even more spectacular, " entrance !! " ( or should I say, " Exit, " ) through an old plate glass sliding door. He'd had a few drinks,- just a few. He also owned a totally stupid mutt of a kangaroo dog which never ever looked where it was going,- more interested in what everyone else was doing, than looking where it was running. Someone had invertingly shut the sliding door for some reason. Mate was heading back out to his party with carton of cold " tinnies." Stupid dog for some reason decided to gallop ahead of my mate, and literally went, " Crash,' through the old glass door head first, tripping up the Birthday boy in the process, who endded up on the back verandah face first, amongst a mix of broken glass, squashed beer cans, and a half-dead blood-covered dog. Mate was the lucky one,- apart from the shock, and a few cuts and bruises he lived to tell the tale,. As for the dog,- it endded it's life there, & then, and as my mate said afterwards, " It was the ONLY useful thing that dog had ever done in its entire life." Door got replaced with a modern Safety Glass Door, complete with modern up-to-date Safety Screen Door on the outside as well. Last time I heard from my mate, he'd got another dog,- but now when he has a party he keeps dog OUTSIDE on a chain, out of the way, also makes damm sure the glass door stays open,- even though it is a new one, he's not taking an chances second time round.

Roger

Anything with large glass panels arround the home is potentially very very dangerous, and bad accidents invilving them are all too common.

My mother had a real "thing" about glass sliding doors..she never wanted one in the house.

The families old neibour in his young years in the 60s had a night job as a securuty guard, one night he was chasing an intruder and ran straight thru a glass door he did not see...fortunately it only cost him his knee cap.

Not all that long ago a mates girl friend, simply put her hand out to stop a swinging door at a friends place and put her hand straight thru a relativly small glass pane...lots of blood lots of stiches.

They started putting glass in doors arround houses big time in the 50's and 60's, and pretty well none of it was either safety or laminated glass and this persisted thru the 70's and into the eighties.

Glass is one of those great materials that we take for granted.....it can be very very dangerous, and it is very inconvienient to treat....it is hard or nearly impossible to see in a wound and does not show up well on xrays.

replacing plate or float glass with safety glass or laminated glass is a real good idea.......another option is fitting security film..it is like strong clear window tint.......the better brands realy hold the glass together in a sheet and vastly increase breakage strength and reduce susseptability to cracking.

I sold the stuff about 20 years ago......scotch used to have a product and there was a coupe of other brands like "profelon".

cheers
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.
    Abrasives can be just as dangerous as a blade.....and 10 times more painfull.

Just a followup to this story.

On Monday my pulled leg muscle was still causing me gyp so I went to the docs and was sent off for a battery of blood and urine tests and scans. The result is I was diagnosed as being diabetic (type II) and having blood clots behind my left knee. The docs also noticed my cough and generally run down condition and asked me how long I'd had it, and I said 3 weeks, so I was prescribed antibiotics.

So - it is most likely that the leg cramps and the constant need to go to the loo were cause by the diabetes, and all this happened because I was just not taking care of myself.

Right now I am on sick leave and have to keep still with my leg up and go for gentle short walks every couple of hours or so. In just one day I went from someone who took no medication to someone who now takes 14 tablets a day! Next week I have to go back for an ultrasound to see how they are going and no flying until they are sorted out.

Now that I'm on all these meds almost immediately I noticed that my constant thirst and multiple daily trips to the loo have a disappeared and for the first time in years I got 7 hours of continuous sleep last night.

Thats a bit unfortunate......but hardly uncommon.

Diabetes, is epedemic in Australia and most other western counrties......once your eyes and ears are opened ya start to see how many people close to you have the blasted pestilance.

So far, my sisters husband, my niece and about 5 of my mates have been diagnosed with diabetes...my quack is right onto it and does blood work on all his at risk patients about once every 12 months.

Diabetes will only kill you if you let it...if you get right onto the diet and lifestyle issues, early and take it serioulsy.......you will probaly be more healthy than before you were diagnosed.

If not......it is a slow and lingering death, it effects every organ in the body, ya start to lose fingers and toes, then arms and legs then ya kidneys shut down followed by ya liver......very very nasty.

seriolusly chaps these days diabeetes and prostate cancer are right up there with heart disease.

If ya have not been to the quack for a while..its a real good idea to go a get a check up and make sure ya get some blood tests done.

And don't think you have to be fat or old for these problems to come knocking.

get these things early and you will be far far better off.

As for the blood clotts and DVTs....these are more common than lots would have us belive....SHMBO came home with a couple of DVTs after he last trip to the UK..so she spent several months on the rat poison tablets (warfren).
    All good now, but she is not keen on flying economy class any more.

Hope all goes well bob.

cheers
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.
    Abrasives can be just as dangerous as a blade.....and 10 times more painfull.

Yep I agree - there's nothing special about any of these conditions and I just have to get on with fixing myself up. I just hope the sequence of events can serve as a warning to others.

Bob
    I have just found this thread and read it with some interest, and sympathy.
    You must get better.
    I have not seen any of your wood slabbing holidays for some time now, I am suffering withdrawels. I always enjoy them as they are much better than reading about those horrible weeds that are slabbed in the East. (of course, I need to insert a TIC here).
    Sincerely
    Willy
    Jarrahland

Quote Originally Posted by Willy Nelson View Post
    Bob
    I have just found this thread and read it with some interest, and sympathy.
    You must get better.
    I have not seen any of your wood slabbing holidays for some time now, I am suffering withdrawels. I always enjoy them as they are much better than reading about those horrible weeds that are slabbed in the East. (of course, I need to insert a TIC here).
    Sincerely
    Willy
    Jarrahland
    Thanks Willy, I'm suffering withdrawls too. SWMBO went out and I snuck down to the shed and I spent an hour or so putting things away and re-arranging the screwdrivers and now I'm pooped.