Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Driver
    Boys – I have to tell you that I have finally decided to pull the pin. I’ve been planning this for over a year. The intention is to retire from my present crust-earning occupation and take things a little more easily.

I don’t intend to cease work altogether but I’m not looking for a full-time job, either. Once I’ve had a short break I’ll be doing some part-time consulting.

So: lend me your watch while I tell you the time and I’ll charge you heaps!

Col (the much more relaxed!)
    A tradgedy for the world of Box Making Col. Live it up

Cheers
    Squizzy

"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all" {screamed by maths teacher in Year 8}

Quote Originally Posted by Soren
    Unfortunately, I was placed on the corporate scrap-heap in November, and have spent every day since then, trying to return to work.
    Soren
    Soren, sorry to hear about the redundancy, Know how it feel as ive been there myself before. Im sure youve experienced all the various emotions and thought processes etc, one of which will have been setting up your own thing and was wondering if that was something you have ruled out or are still considering.
    I have councelled a couple of people over the past year who were in this situation and our sort of age, and both have gone down this route within their respective fields and are beginning to make things work out quite well.
    I wish you well regardless and im sure all will turn out OK,, it usually always does,, and often for the better.
    beejay1

http://community.webshots.com/user/eunos9

Quote Originally Posted by Driver
    Boys – I have to tell you that I have finally decided to pull the pin. I’ve been planning this for over a year. The intention is to retire from my present crust-earning occupation and take things a little more easily.

I don’t intend to cease work altogether but I’m not looking for a full-time job, either. Once I’ve had a short break I’ll be doing some part-time consulting.

So: lend me your watch while I tell you the time and I’ll charge you heaps!

Col (the much more relaxed!)
    Col, I did what you're planning at the same age. It's great if you can do it. Spend most of my time in the workshop, but go sailing if I feel like it, and cherry pick the consulting/contracting jobs I like the look of. Had lunch today with a couple of colleagues who are still at work, and don't envy them one little bit.

Wongo, I sympathise, mate. It can get you down when it all seems to be happening at once. Remember, though, that it's not worth ruining your health, and you are working for far too long to be doing something you don't enjoy.
    Visit my website
    Website
    Facebook

Whoooooh dude's, Im working 12 days per week.
    No wonder Im eded.
    This is one reason, there are too many others to count.
    Photo Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by beejay1
    ................ one of which will have been setting up your own thing and was wondering if that was something you have ruled out or are still considering.
    Toying with the idea, but coming from an accounting / IT Help Desk background, will have to be a complete 'sea-change'.
    Continuing to do 'handyman' type stuff, to keep a couple of dollars coming in, but it does not appear to be regular enough to 'count' on.
    Anyway, have to be possitive, and hope something good will turn up

Soren,

Something good will turn up!!

Do things you like doing, work in the workshop, play a sport you like, enjoy.

Father in law has been doing that now for a few years after his retirement project went to the bottom of the Tasman in a storm and was picked up by a Russian Freighter. Virtually lost everything. He plays golf and operates a stall at a market selling 2nd hand golf balls, clubs, cheap and nasty wooden articles (planter boxes for example) he makes in his garage with salvaged timber from companies who are only to willing for him to take.

Keeps him in beer money and a night out each week.

Keep the chin up - it will work out
    Perhaps it is better to be irresponsible and right, than to be responsible and wrong.
    Winston Churchill