Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  1
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by simonl View Post
    You're killing me Stuart. What did you buy this time?
    Mostly metrology gear, from a 0.2 arc second autocollimator, a 0.00002" DTI + stand for my 0.00001" DTI to wiggler(ok the wiggler came with a set of 1/2 small hole gauges). I might have gone a little crazy for a few weeks there

Stuart

p.s. Of course it has to all survive the trip
    Last edited by Stustoys; 17th May 2015 at 06:24 PM. Reason: p.s.

Quote Originally Posted by Stustoys View Post
    So I've been doing "a little" shopping and its time to get it all home.
    Do I need to include the cost of postage to the shipito warehouse in the customs value?

Stuart
    Stuart

No you don't. However you do need to be wary of the exchange rate (currently diabololical).

Recently, we kept the consignments to US$690 maximum to make sure we were well under the A$1000 limit for customs.

Fence Furniture is the Shipito expert.

Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

"Power tends to corrupt. Absolute power corrupts, absolutely!"

FenceFurniture is offline The prize lies beneath - hidden in full view

Domestic shipping cost within the USA is not included.

If you are going to send multiple items, make sure they don't arrive on the same day (or preferably the same week). If two shipments for a receiver arrive on the same day even from different suppliers in different countries then they will be bundled together for customs assessment. If they are assessed as GST and Import duty liable then the international shipping cost will attract GST as well (but is not included in the $1000 threshold for assessment).

If you are using TNT as the freighter from Shipito then <$700 means you do not have to upload the invoice. For >=$700 the invoice has to be uploaded before they will let it leave CA. This is why with Bushmiller recent purchases we kept it under $700 - didn't fancy uploading 30 or more different eBay invoices, and I very much doubt that the system would take that many anyway.
    Regards, FenceFurniture

COLT DRILLS GROUP BUY
    Jan-Feb 2019 Click to send me an email

Thanks guys. I thought the postage to Aus would be included in the $1000 limit. If its not then its not an issue either way as I'll come in under $1kAU anyway. I'm not that fussed about paying an extra $100 if it came to it, its more the paper work I'm thinking about and also being sure not to get the tax man angry.

I've only used Shipito once and that came DHL and most of my calcs have come out as DHL for this lot. They will be coming as multiple piece shipment as I don't fancy shipping a 12kg autocollimator with an 11kg Dial indicator stand(its not a DTI as I called it in my last post.) I'm up to 35kgs(though that will change a little)

Stuart

Just one other point which is relevant if you are getting close to the $1000 mark. It doesn't matter what the exchange rate was on the day that you paid for it. Customs use the mid-market rate on the day of shipping from the USA. That is, if the rate has dropped since you paid for it then it could push over the $1000 limit. Best to keep it to around $950-965 to allow for a few % fall in the AUD. I'd be very surprised of DHL wasn't considerably more than TNT Express (which is somehow cheaper than TNT Economy). Sometimes the TNT Express option doesn't come up on the calculator, or even on the "Set Shipping" function, but it usually will if you change the address to another receiver because you have to go through the whole shipping process then anyway. There's a hint in that last bit on how to get two separate packages sent on the same day with a value of over $1000 too.... If you still can't get THT Express to apply then have a chat with one of them, and they should be able to help. Also, if the goods are second hand (and I think I remember reading that they are) then GST doesn't apply anyway, but you'd do well to check the Customs site for that: http://www.customs.gov.au/ Apologies if this post isn't formatted into separate paras - something weirdo happening.
    Regards, FenceFurniture

COLT DRILLS GROUP BUY

Quote Originally Posted by FenceFurniture View Post
    Also, if the goods are second hand (and I think I remember reading that they are) then GST doesn't apply anyway, but you'd do well to check the Customs site for that: http://www.customs.gov.au/
    Doesn't look like that's the case (which is a surprise). See here: http://www.customs.gov.au/faq/Cleari...ortsbyPost.asp and go down to "My goods are for my private or personal use...." where it says second hand goods are assessable.
    Regards, FenceFurniture

COLT DRILLS GROUP BUY

ok While we are all here, an idea I had was to "consolidate" for e.g. the autocollimator (25.80 lbs (11.7 kg)23"×15"×10" (57×39×25 cm), keeping the outside box into a 36" × 17" × 17" box and adding bubble pack and a couple of books. Just to get some extra padding, crazy waste of time?

Stuart

The more stuff you send in one box (of less than $1000) the cheaper per kilo it gets. You would to use a "Special Instruction" to tell them how you want it packed - cost is $5 from memory. Make sure your instructions are idiot proof - there's a very good reason for that.
    Regards, FenceFurniture

COLT DRILLS GROUP BUY

I did a calculation to see find the most economical weight (per Kg) and it was 39Kg.

This took into consideration the penalties for >30lbs,>70lbs, >100lbs etc. The cost per Kg went from about $11.89 for 19Kgs to $7.64 for 39Kgs. Bear in mind this was through TNT Express and was some months ago: Things can change.

Just looking back through the figures, you could send 27Kg for the same price as 19Kg at that time.

Regards
    Paul
    Last edited by Bushmiller; 18th May 2015 at 09:21 AM. Reason: corrected figures
    Bushmiller;

"Power tends to corrupt. Absolute power corrupts, absolutely!"

Quote Originally Posted by FenceFurniture View Post
    Sometimes the TNT Express option doesn't come up on the calculator, or even on the "Set Shipping" function, but it usually will if you change the address to another receiver because you have to go through the whole shipping process then anyway.
    It seems to be something to do with the postcode. If I use "3000" I get TNT, any other Melb suburb postcode I tried TNT wouldn't show. Though 3000 doesnt work for MPS. Really not sure about putting all my eggs in one basket

I asked them about the postcode thing......

you can try adding a deposit to your account
    and see if it becomes an option
    at least for the package you are trying to mail out

So I dont like my chances of getting TNT lol
    At 80lbs DHL is cheaper than TNT anyway.
    This is doing my head in
    1 package 80lbs 36*17*17 $700 to 3000
    DHL $278.59
    TNT $309.05
    2 packages 40lbs 18*17*17 $350 to 3000
    TNT $279.56
    DHL $313.12
    What the???

Stuart

For the big package I get $257.57 to Katoomba 2780. Same for Melb 3000. Same for HEIDELBERG 3084. Same for CRIB POINT 3919
    Regards, FenceFurniture

COLT DRILLS GROUP BUY

From Minden NV by TNT? I am still getting $308.05. Even the discounts for silver, gold etc is only gets down to $292.65.

Ok I think I've found half my problem, for some strange reason I assumed it wasn't looking at the city and only using the postcode, so I had the city as Melbourne. So I seem to have that working, though I'm still not getting TNT on MPS.

Stuart

No, from Hawthorne CA. Maybe you need to move it there? Dunno what that costs though. IIRC that's the cheapest place to freight out of.
    Regards, FenceFurniture

COLT DRILLS GROUP BUY

Thanks for that.

Stuart

Ok it seems shifting to another warehouse will cost more than I save....... though I might run the maths again.

I finally got to the bottom of the TNT issue. TNT seem to not like that I put "North" in front of my suburb and not after it.

Stuart