Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default anyone had to explain

what a great bunch of people who belong to this forum!
    With all the trouble in the world it is heartening to see so many respond to the day to day challenges we have. Well done to all of you for caring!
    regards
    Dereg

A family friend had always told their grandchildren the dead (animals) had gone to Geelong - the home of God and Budah (go the Cats)

It was a sad day when they were told grandpa had gone to Geelong to pick up a bull

Go to this site then read this to your daughter. She'll understand.

Rainbow bridge

Jeez Mark, that's laying on the sugar a bit thick! Won't you then have to explain that she has to die to see the dog again?
    The only way to get rid of a [Domino] temptation is to yield to it. Oscar Wilde

.....so go4it people!

Post Old Mate

Hi Shanon,

Sorry to hear about your old mate. I remember as a 17 year old having the vet come to our home give my best friend his needle to stop his pain. It was probably the hardest day I had for a long time as dad had to cover him over. I had only seen my dad cry a couple of times and he did that day. It was the hardest decision that was made in our home for quite a while.

I've grown up up now and have had 2 dogs since then. I had to give my other away after a break down in marital proceedings. He was a Staffie Kelpie cross who I was unable to take with me. Since being re-married we have a new additon to our family in the form of a border collie. He would have to be the most intelligent dog I have ever seen and he loves us unconditionally. Still though there are days when I go back to my childhood and remember the great days with my first old mate in the yard at home with the other two dogs that have been part of my life.

Finally managed to read this tread through. My Mate Boris, a boxer cross, suddenly developed a condition wher he could only walk with his head twisted sideways and almost upside down. Spent ages at the vets trying to find out what the problem was but never really knew. Suspect a cancer. Didn't want to admit it but while he was still there to look up and smile and try to follow me everywhere his body wouldn't let him.

The decision to put him to rest is probably the worst I have ever had to make. His last day was spend spoiling him in every way, so chocolate is bad for dogs, who cares he loved it. The Vets at Hoppers Crossing were just wonderful, came out and we all where there. I held him as the injection flowed and felt him just drift away. Carried him to the vets car but that wasn't him he was still with us in our hearts.

To this day I cant watch the video of that last day, the first part as no way would we have videoed the last part.

Quote Originally Posted by TassieKiwi
    Jeez Mark, that's laying on the sugar a bit thick! Won't you then have to explain that she has to die to see the dog again?
    Isn't that all part of the explanation of "we are all here for a short time and dogs are shorter than people".

Thankyou all again for your help,

we are just about to start the process of explaining that Link is getting old to our little one, and what happens when we all get old. We will do this to soften the blow a bit when it comes time. There have been a lot of great posts to help us through it - much appreciated.
    I tend to agree though that kids are pretty resilient, I reckon she will be the one consoling me if I'm not careful.
    Cheerio.
    Shannon

Fat people are hard to kidnap

Freecycle.org check it out - recycle it
    instead of landfilling it

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon
    I reckon she will be the one consoling me if I'm not careful.
    Nothing wrong with that, mate! Little girls are generally very protective of their dads.
    Driver of the Forums
    Lord of the Manor of Upper Legover

Well folks,

Unfortunately last Wednesday the day came where we had to say goodbye to our mate Link.
    He was going to be 12 just after Chrissy, but his body just wasn't keeping up its end of the bargain, so we had to make a very hard decision to help him out. Vet came out and they were great, all happened quickly and quietly.

I tell you though, covering him up and having to put him in the ground was pretty damn hard.
    Our daughter Trinity has coped quite well. We had been pepping her for a while. Being 3 she accepts a lot more things at face value than we as adults do. She accepted that link was old, he couldn't see or hear, and that he died. Accepted the fact that he has gone to be with God upon asking where he went etc etc. She still asks every now and then (he was a house dog so she was used to seeing him all the time), but we just truthfully reexplain with no fuss and she is fine so far.
    I'll have some of that if its being dished out - I still think I can hear him at times!!

Cheers to a great companion for all of my family including my parents who had him in there lives whilst I was still at home. He will be greatly missed.

Here is a brief history of my mate.
    Cheers.
    Cheerio.
    Shannon

Good on ya' Shannon, It's a hard desicion to make, but you will feel better in time knowing that you did the right thing, at the right time, and where not selfish in that you could not bring yourself to part with him at the cost of his comfort and quality of life.
    savage(Eric)
    Better days ahead!
    savage(Eric)

Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Well I've put off reading this thread up till a few minutes ago, because I didn't have the guts to.
    Shannon, I'm right there with you even though it's been six years for me. My wife just came in and asked me if I was ok, I think you know why.
    There's nothing I can say to help you except that I do know how you feel.

Default Thanks guys

G'day,

Thanks for your thoughts,

I guess this is the price we pay by owning pets and thus for the most part outliving our loved ones.

But as corny as the quote is - here goes. "It is better to have loved and lost, then to have never loved at all"
    As hard as it was, and is, and probably will be for a while, I (and he I am sure) would never have missed it.

Owning a dog is the next best thing to a child - and at least with a dog you can lock them out if they annoy you Our 3 year old daughter is lucky she is not a dog at the moment I tell you

Cop you later.
    Cheerio.
    Shannon

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I am just going through the same thing. Just got back form the vet one dog short. Had to put down my German Shepard. We rescued her 13 years ago as an underfed and maltreated puppy. She was named pavlov, as when we got home my wife put a cup of tea in the microwave, and when it went ping, pavlov came running from three rooms away and looked at the microwave looking for food. At this point, my wife and I looked at each other and said she has to be called pavlov.

been with us since we moved into our first house. Going to miss my big girl. Now all I have to do is explain it to my 3 year old daughter, and stop myself and my wife from crying.

I know we did the correct thing, but it still doesnt help at the moment..

Ok I have finished, im going to get drunk now...
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

My Other Toys

Gra, sorry to hear about your loss of a great friend and mate, I guess it is the down side of pet ownership, I have lost a few great dogs over the years and as heart breaking as it is I still go and get another. I think the sadness at the end, the fun before makes it worth it many fold, like kids they are a joy to have in your life.

Don't forget, you did say you have 2 dogs, the other will fret about loosing it companion. If unsure speak to your vet and he will help you as to when would be the right time to introduce another friend for the both of you.

Heads up mate, it will be hard but tell your little one the truth, she got sick and is in heaven with the other puppies. My Dad told me my second dog ran away and everywhere we went I looked for him, once they told me that they couldn't change the story. I was many years later they told me the truth, even then I was a little confused as to why the didn't tell me the truth?....
    savage(Eric)

Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.