Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I love auctions like this.. crap photos of something you see might be a winner.

The dodgy photos will with any luck put off other buyers and leave you to risk a few bucks on a plane that COULD be a bargain.

I've done it.. and I love it, I've scored a couple of rare gems from simply taking a guess at what that fuzzy brown blob is in the photo buuuuut then I've also received some fuzzy brown blobs

Ask a lot of questions to improve your chances but risk the clarification being included in the listing and other bidders pricking up their ears.

these kind of auctions I see as my lotto tickets (which I don't buy).. except cheaper and with better odds.. buuut you have to be able to open the package, toss it straight in the bin and get on with your day.

A side note on that seller tho.. I have seen a number of his auctions and passed on a couple of things he's put up .. his listings scream dodgy to me, can't quite say why.. a few things have been passed in that surprised me, maybe other people get the same vibe?

In the grand scheme of things, this is an extremely minor annoyance. I deal with human problems on an hourly basis that make this experience a totally petty affair. I know this, we all know this. I got over it after about 15 minutes of a few emails back-and-forth.

The plane goes back today. I expect to get my money back. That is not as important to me as the Seller accepting responsibility.

I will point out that I sniped a bid at the last moment as I only noted the auction about an hour before it was due to end. That is not the way to go about eBay auctions. Do your homework, which means ask questions and get pictures if you can. I generally follow these rules.

It is good to just ventilate my irritation at the deceit and time wasting that occurred, and to do so among friends who are supportive. Thanks guys.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Visit www.inthewoodshop.com for tutorials on constructing handtools, handtool reviews, and my trials and tribulations with furniture builds.

Quote Originally Posted by derekcohen View Post
    I got over it after about 15 minutes of a few emails back-and-forth.
    So the question remains, was this a worthwile thread in the first place? i doubt it, as ebay is always a risk, and as Shelia used to say "Tough tities"

Quote Originally Posted by Lignum View Post
    So the question remains, was this a worthwile thread in the first place? i doubt it.
    I think it was, It's given Derek a chance to let off a bit of steam and maybe wize up a few people on the pros and cons of buying on ebay.
    The listed item was not accurately described and it would make anyone angry to be taken for a ride. I guess the seller can do no more than offer the money back and the original postage cost so no real harm done.
    you can always have some satisfaction by leaving unfavourable feedback if you don't get satisfaction from the seller but in this case I think the seller has done all about he can do to satisfy the buyer.
    Anyway Derek has probably got a bit of satisfaction from letting off steam in here
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John

But ebay ia an unseen auction. You win some and gloat and you loose some and have a whinge. Thats life i suppose

Hi Derek,

I think I would put my eggs in your basket as being the one with the accurate description.

BUT

I would be happy with the result. He is out of pocket, you are out of pocket. I would email him and say something like "Though we disagree on a number of issues it is good we could sort this out" and advise that you will leave positive feedback with regard to the sorting out of the problem if he will also.

This leaves both your ebay feedbacks positive, no need to win a battle when the war will go on for years.

You never know whats going on in peoples lives that makes them behave in strange ways. With similar ebay feedback results I imagine he is normally very good. Perhaps hes not well or something.

Good luck

dazzler

Lignum

As John notes, this was just me letting off a bit of steam among friends while warning others what to do and what not to do. I take responsibility for not doing my homework. I was aggrevated by the blatant dishonesty of the Seller. The piddling amount of money does not minimise that, but in the grand scheme of events in life, this is an even more piddling affair. Plane went back today and the whole event is forgotten.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Visit www.inthewoodshop.com for tutorials on constructing handtools, handtool reviews, and my trials and tribulations with furniture builds.

It's pretty obvious that the wedge is shot and the blade hasn't got any more life in it, so the plane is not as stated. Don't know about the fence. Morally, he should give a refund, but is probably relying on the fact that it's not worth the hassle.

Thing is, if he'd mentioned those problems, someone probably would have paid almost as much knowing they could fix it.
    Visit my website
    Website
    Facebook

He's a liar and a knowall dickhead. I've not bought anything on ebay for ages because of this type. You have every right to be .

Trust me, no-one at e-bay or paypal gives a toss. I doubt if they ever resolved one complaint. They care a lot about making squillions, is all. There is no comeback. Lilke someone said, it's a lottery, based on trust.

Have a beer and forget it.

D
    The only way to get rid of a [Domino] temptation is to yield to it. Oscar Wilde

.....so go4it people!

what tassie said
    p.t.c

except to note that ebay craps on buyers & sellers alike.
    They seem to back up the first to complain
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Derek, you're not crazy at all. An unscrupulous seller tried to cheat you.

As others have said, don't expect too much support from eBay or PayPal. Neither gives a damn. They are completely the opposite of Lee Valley, subscribing to the philosophy that "There's no money in integrity".

The only things I buy from eBay these days are the occasional CD, and things I can inspect before handing over the cash.

Hi Derek, (the not so crazy one)

What Dazzler said.
    What AlexS said.
    What Tassie said.
    What Ron said.

In the section for 'Have Your Say' I reckon your post is quite appropriate. I have also found similar sellers with questionable eyesight, language and photographic skills, all quite deliberate methinks. Many honest Johns out there with the clever cons though.

Thanks for the heads up.

Cheers
    Pops

be very careful on ebay, ask for more pics
    my partner recently got ripped off for really big bucks on a vintage guitar
    he's experienced, always asks for photos and serial numbers and knows what he's buying.
    This was an outright forgery, interpol can only intervene for more than $10,000
    once it was a fun place to go, but now there are too many dishonest poeple useing it as a place to offload stuff they cant sell at a market.
    only acept from those with 99.9% feedback.
    for small purchasers a lot dont bother with negative feedback so if anyone has had any bad feedback, check it out.

Astrid

oh oh, I know what it is........Parallux error!..... Just turn the plane around in your hand a bit. Should be able to find an angle that makes it look excellent.