Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Yvette,
    welcome to the pancake house, sorry mad house. The bathroom is technically the most demanding room to renovate and it and the kitchen are the most expensive, so you've set yourself up for a steep learning curve. I would recommend against using the "wet area" plasterboard in favour of villaboard. It's a 6mm cement sheeting with recessed edges that can be set just like plasterboard but doesn't disintegrate when it's soaked. Do some searches on this site (if you haven't yet done so) for waterproofing, wet areas, and bathroom renovations. Waterproofing detail is all important in wet areas and even some conscientious pros get it wrong. Ask lots of questions and get all the manufacturer's data sheets.

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

Hi,

Do you get the feeling that I like a challenge starting with a bathroom? I have done some minor renos, plastering etc, in my last house but decided to try something different.

I was advised to use the wet area plasterboard but had already looked into the cement sheeting as an alternative. Is that the blue one or is that something else again? Am I able to tile straight over it after waterproofing?

I have gotten a bit of info about waterproofing (which is more than can be said for the person who built the place. I think that if we had actually used the bathroom more than the twice we have since we moved in, the bath would now be somewhere under the house ) There was no waterproofing, or didn't seem to be behind the tiles or the board or the plaster which is why when i went to pry the board off it disintegrated in my hands. There was nothing under the bath, including support, it was actaully sitting suspended on the surround and not anywhere near the floor. It's a wonder the one time hubby used it he didn't collapse the thing!

I really appreciate all the help and suggestions everyone has offered (even though I got called a geek by hubby) and look forward to more help in the future.

Cheers

Yvette,
    the blue cement sheeting is for exterior use (I think it's called Harditex from memory, not to be confused with Hardiflex).
    Hardiflex: 4.5mm & 6mm cement sheeting for interior & exterior use, square edges, slightly rough surface.
    Versilux: similar to Hardiflex but has a smoother, sanded surface.
    Villaboard: Interior use only, 6mm thick, smooth sanded with recessed edges for flush joints.
    Harditex(?): Exterior, blue, recessed edge sheeting.

You only need to use the villaboard on areas that aren't covered by tiles, but it's usually easier to do the whole bathroom in it (unless you're having all the walls completely tiled). Flush all the joins but don't use topcoat on the areas that will be waterproofed and tiled. You can tile straight over the waterproof membrane. Order is:
    1) sheet walls
    2) 2 coats basecoat in joins
    3) mark out tiled areas
    4) waterproof membrane to tiled areas
    5) topcoat to joints in non tiled areas
    6) down a few beers
    7) paint and tiles etc

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

....and post-afternoon nap, return beer-free, to fix beer-induced "creativity"

Steve
    Kilmore (Melbourne-ish)
    Australia

....catchy phrase here

Thanks heaps for that. I was wondering what to do if was all going to be the hardflex. But one more question, if I don't drink beer, is bourbon alright as a substitute or do I have to go with wine coolers ?

silly .... wine coolers are meant to be worn on the head NOT drunk

the drunk part is perfectly handled by Bourbon I am reliably informed by SWMBO

Drinking is another of life's pleasures that has been denied me ..... like single-ness

but saying so achieves a similar headache

Steve
    Kilmore (Melbourne-ish)
    Australia

....catchy phrase here