Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just finished

Quote Originally Posted by jimbur View Post
    I like his books but it seems he's not done so well in this latest effort.
    Cheers,
    Jim
    Jim,
    Interesting fellow is Ben Elton...I quite liked his work on Blackadder and The Young Ones...and it seems, so do people who may not know that he wrote them
    I cannot stand his stand up work or his political posturing, and PC reaction to the likes of Benny Hill. It seems to me he wanted to impose the current (his) comedy idiom onto historical material that was a reflection of the times.
    There isn't a chance I will watch his current stuff....and wild horses couldn't drag me along to see a rock opera based on the rock band Queen...horrid nostalgic glam rock crapola music...just like the original stuff they produced. That stuff was fodder for the bogan classes.

Regards,
    Peter.
    ..running off at the mouth a bit...just that he gets under my skin and makes it crawl...worse than a two faced exploitative politician....the type he railed against in an earlier incarnation.

Default Re: Just finished

Queen rules!!!!!!!!!!

well I think most comedy nowdays relies on swearing and such. While I can utter the odd word or 6 I reckon it just means you can't do comedy. The older stle like Dave allen the 2 ronnies open all hrs young ones black adder et al didn't rely on profanities to make you laugh.
    The modern way makes them sound like grade1 kids behind the school shed impressing their peers with a new word.
    Oh well must be old fart sydrome before my time

cheers
    Pete
    What this country needs are more unemployed politicians.
    Edward Langley, Artist (1928-1995)

Quote Originally Posted by fxst View Post
    well I think most comedy nowdays relies on swearing and such.

cheers
    Pete
    No it doesn't!
    There are lots of interesting young comedians out there! Ben Elton prolly qualifies as an old fart too!
    anne-maria.
    T
    ea Lady

(White with none)
    Follow my little workshop/gallery on facebook. things of clay and wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rogers View Post
    Who is Ben Elton?
    He is the chick from Master Chefs Brother in law.

Quote Originally Posted by Lignum View Post
    He is the chick from Master Chefs Brother in law.
    anne-maria.
    T
    ea Lady

(White with none)
    Follow my little workshop/gallery on facebook. things of clay and wood.

Quote Originally Posted by fxst
    well I think most comedy nowdays relies on swearing and such. While I can utter the odd word or 6 I reckon it just means you can't do comedy. The older stle like Dave allen the 2 ronnies open all hrs young ones black adder et al didn't rely on profanities to make you laugh.
    The modern way makes them sound like grade1 kids behind the school shed impressing their peers with a new word.
    Oh well must be old fart sydrome before my time

cheers
    Pete
    As I said don't go see Will Anderson every second word is f**k and he is hilarious! My wife was not a fan though.

Have any of you read the tweets from #### my dad says. A 74 yo doctor swears like a trooper and it's funny stuff - 2 million followers so far.

http://shitmydadsays.com

I watched Adam Hill's new show on the ABC. It did absloutely sweet FA for me so I fell asleep... hang on I do that most nights whilst watching TV

Quote Originally Posted by lightwood View Post
    Jim,
    Interesting fellow is Ben Elton...I quite liked his work on Blackadder and The Young Ones...and it seems, so do people who may not know that he wrote them
    I cannot stand his stand up work or his political posturing, and PC reaction to the likes of Benny Hill. It seems to me he wanted to impose the current (his) comedy idiom onto historical material that was a reflection of the times.
    There isn't a chance I will watch his current stuff....and wild horses couldn't drag me along to see a rock opera based on the rock band Queen...horrid nostalgic glam rock crapola music...just like the original stuff they produced. That stuff was fodder for the bogan classes.

Regards,
    Peter.
    ..running off at the mouth a bit...just that he gets under my skin and makes it crawl...worse than a two faced exploitative politician....the type he railed against in an earlier incarnation.
    I didn't see the show last night so cant comment on it.
    I have seen Ben Elton live in the UK in 1991 and he was very funny then.
    We Will Rock you was very good. It was fun as a rock musical should be.
    Sorry I must be a bogan but then I also like opera. Lots of bogans there as well.
    Terry B
    Armidale

The most ineffective workers will be systematically moved to the place where they can do the least damage - management.
    --The Dilbert Principle

Quote Originally Posted by rod1949 View Post
    I watched Adam Hill's new show on the ABC. It did absloutely sweet FA for me so I fell asleep... hang on I do that most nights whilst watching TV
    Adam Hills is a far better 'light' TV show host than stand-up comedian. He sure ain't good at the latter but I enjoyed his new show 'In Gordon Street, Tonight' and will watch again - and I'm an 'Old Fart' too!
    Hitch

You got to have a dream, if you don't have a dream, how you gonna have a dream come true?

Oscar Hammerstein ll

Worst part with Ben Elton is, he led the campaign to get rid of Benny Hill because of his out dated smutty comedy, yet the stuff he served up the other night made Benny Hill look like a comic genius.

Have to agree with the state of some newer comedians - they seem to think that the only way to tell a joke is to make it smutty or to include as much swearing as possible. Paul McDermott comes to mind..

Here's a clip to make us all feel better

One Ronnie and a bunch of computer gags. Nice and modern, clean humor, no swearing and I thought funny as heck

Sent to me by another forum member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAG39jKi0lI&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - My Blackberry Is Not Working! - The One Ronnie, Preview - BBC One[/ame]

Cheers,
    Dave

I saw that a few weeks ago . It's a great display of clever wit, something which the Americans just don't understand - or very few do.
    I make things, I just take a long time.

www.brandhouse.net.au

Quote Originally Posted by Ozkaban
    Have to agree with the state of some newer comedians - they seem to think that the only way to tell a joke is to make it smutty or to include as much swearing as possible. Paul McDermott comes to mind..

Here's a clip to make us all feel better

One Ronnie and a bunch of computer gags. Nice and modern, clean humor, no swearing and I thought funny as heck

Sent to me by another forum member

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAG39jKi0lI&feature=player_embedded

Cheers,
    Dave
    Have to disagree Paul McDermott is very funny - good news week is a great watch !