Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Housework blues

Beachport, South Oz, the best little town on the planet.

Go on strike, grow some balls or get your girlfriend over to help when the dragon is at work! If you don't have a girlfriend then get out there and get one cos your missus won't be around for long anyway and you are going to need some comp'ny!

Hi Andy,

From my humble point of view, I reckon I'd feel guilty as all heck that by swapping roles, even when I wanted to, that I might be letting down the family. There is too, the irrational fear that everyone in the house will like husband's style/method of keeping the house running better than the Mum's way of doing it all.

Yep, the changeover time suxs, but is there any chance, after cooling down, that working a few groundrules in might help? for example - You do things your way, I'll do them my way. I'll never be able to do like you, but let me find my feet. So what if the washing gets done using a different cycle. They didn't shrink/change colour or anything else and the clothes are clean and dry. What's the Problem????

Good Luck Andy, The hardest time of changing habits is right at the point where they change, where it sounds, you are right now.

Enjoy that beer! You've earned it!!

cheers
    Wendy

So, how many years has your wife been doing the housewife thing?

How long have you been doing the housewife thing?

Dont expect the aprentice to know it all or be able to do it as expertly as the boss

We have this problem too, and I do try and bite my tongue when things arent done the same way i do them. Hang in there, she will get used to it, it is hard to let someone take over what you have had sole control of for years.

Donna

Some good advice above, particularly from Midge & the Countess.

Or you could say as I did: "Do you want me to do it, or do you want to tell me how to do it?"
    Not necessarily good advice. Perhaps Wongo is correct.
    Visit my website
    Website
    Facebook

no realy Andy its a great job house keeping you can get it all done before lunch have a game of golf kids love looking for your ball and when she gets home you can tell her you took the kids for 1hr walk
    one guy on the course had a seat made to fit on his buggy
    smile and the world will smile with you

Quote Originally Posted by SPIRIT View Post
    EDIT>>>
    and dont forget to get her slippers and a drink when she gets home.
    Crickey! Why didn't I think of that?!? Imagine the s3x afterwards!

Quote Originally Posted by SPIRIT View Post
    no realy Andy its a great job house keeping you can get it all done before lunch have a game of golf <<
    Doesn't work if you swap golf for tennis with the "girls", that was short lived in this household
    Thank God for senility... now I don't feel so silly any more.

Men and Women clean differently, no doubt. If she has a problem with the way you're doing something, just tell her you'll be happy to leave that part for her to do, otherwise you're on the case. Did you climb all over her about the way she ran the ship? She's in charge of outside now, tell her you're skipper inside. The good part is, she at least knows how much work it is?

I think a previous poster was right on the money. She can't complain at her new job, maybe feeling a bit insecure. She knows you better than anybody, so you're the one that cops it. Be patient. If you can handle the kids no problem, I think you're on top. She'll even out, or give her the option to chuck in the day job, and return to work for her previous employer (you).

The calmer you stay, the easier it'll be. When you watch the house, you also have to be the rock. You'll be right.
    Do nothing, stay ahead

Thanks for the responses...advice and support or otherwise! It is a time of transition, so I guess I'd better keep my response in check. Never been known for that though, very quick with reaction to stimuli!.
    The new situation for my wife is not quite as people have surmised, she isn't employed as such, but has started a new business with only her working. Dressmaking, alterations etc. So there is no internal politics or anything, just the basic fact of making a living to replace my public service income.
    I'm trying to identify my least favourite household chore, and it would have to be hanging out the washing...although today I had a portable radio and listened to the cricket, so maybe its not that bad!

Cheers for now,
    Andy Mac
    Change is inevitable, growth is optional.

I'm trying to identify my least favourite household chore, and it would have to be hanging out the washing...although today I had a portable radio and listened to the cricket, so maybe its not that bad!

Cheers for now,
    Maybe the critisism you thought she was giving you was really tips to make it easier. Use the right cycle for the right load and things come out cleaner. Separate the colours and you don't get white fluff on the black things. Hang things out straight and they are easier to fold after with less creases. Hang things out inside out and you the washing fades less in the sun (Well, the inside fades instead). All seems like stupid detail too pointless to worry about but will give you nice pile of clean fresh washing in the end instead of pile of crinkled stuff all the same color because colour ran. Might even change least favorite task into best. No, maybe going too far.
    I hate house work, but I don't do a bad load o' washing. My least favorite task is vacuuming. Don't know why. Never sucks strong enough. Power cord always to short. Really annoying!!!!
    anne-maria.
    T
    ea Lady

(White with none)
    Follow my little workshop/gallery on facebook. things of clay and wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Mac View Post
    ...although today I had a portable radio and listened to the cricket, so maybe its not that bad!
    get a pair of those earmuffs with the radio in them, and you won't hear the kids either!

Quote Originally Posted by tea lady View Post
    Hang things out inside out and you the washing fades less in the sun (Well, the inside fades instead).
    holy s**t, I learned a laundry tip on a woodwork forum! I'm pouring beer all over my head and go outside and fire up the chainsaw to make all right.
    Do nothing, stay ahead

holy s**t, I learned a laundry tip on a woodwork forum! I'm pouring beer all over my head and go outside and fire up the chainsaw to make all right.
    Sorry 'bout that. Maybe we could tell him about high presser washer. Could make washing more exciting at least.
    anne-maria.
    T
    ea Lady

(White with none)
    Follow my little workshop/gallery on facebook. things of clay and wood.