Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gags_17 View Post
    Hey Watson in the picture was what i last used my gmc for I used it for the bar when i made it and in the back ground all the fence pailings i had to cut off about 10mm either side they werent quite straight it held up fine but had touble with the fence moving or is that just me?I also use it when im making odd bits of furniture. Im looking at upgrading my scms aswell if i get a good quality ts will mitred cuts produced on the ts be just as good as a scms or even better?then i might be able to spend more on the ts if im only buying one tool.
    thanks guys
    Gags
    a different take, given that your $ are very limited, your $250 might be best spent upgrading/modifing the GMC.

granted you'll still only have a GMC but what is the GMC's problem?
    the fence wont stay set? how much will a fence upgrade cost?
    the table's not flat? can you sacrifice some depth of cut with a false table top?
    the mitre slots are not parallel to the blade? I believe there is a fix
    the arbor wobbles excessively? I'm not sure that this is fixable.

ian

Thanks for the help guys I know im probably going to sound like a spoilt brat or something like that.The gmc has seen its last day i was in my workshop and i accidently knocked over one of my shelves that holds all of my power tools and what not on it that fell staight onto my gmc and brock the switch housing and the switch and also broke the handle mechanism that tilts the blade.I think for the t moment i will just buy a triton saw table until i can save up a bit of money and get a good table saw.
    much appreaciated

Gags,

Does the "17" in your name indicate your age? If so, you are doing well

and should think of taking up cabinetmaking or shopfitting when you leave

school. Shopfitting pays a lot more than cabinetmaking does for very

similar skills/work.

Hey just george
    No the 17 in my name was my footy jumper number lol the forum didnt let me have just "gags" (my nickname) im sixteen at the moment but i turn 17 in a month or so. Thanks for compliment I love wood its just what im good at. I have a job working in a factory making house frames and every now and then go out on site My boss has offered me an aprenticeship as a carpentor but house frames definetly are not my thing there just like putting a puzle together theres hardly any skill involved.

My boss has offered me an aprenticeship as a carpentor but house frames definetly are not my thing there just like putting a puzle together theres hardly any skill involved.
    Take advantage of the apprenticeship offer and get the Government to buy some of your tools.

after all knowing how to frame a house will help with putting food on the table or buying more tools for your real passion

ian

I think i will take it up but at the end of this year tt was the compramise i had with my boss lol funny story he wanted to ring up my school and try and get me kicked out so id come and work with him.just out of curiosity what exactly does a shop fitter do?are they the guys that put in all the arc and doors and all of that kind of stuff?
    cheers

Can't help with TS advice, but you could consider getting an apprenticeship with a company doing top-end commercial fitouts or shopfitting. Take along pics of your bar and other work. Try not to get kicked out of school before your HSC . A good project there would help get an apprenticeship.

That's a very nice bar - well done.
    Visit my website
    Website
    Facebook

Im hoping to pass year 11 this year which is the first year of vce (hsc) I do a subject called design and technology which is basically woodworking but with a rediculous amount of theory thats were im hoping to get a good mark on my project,Another problem that im going te encounter with getting an aprenticeship is transport i dont get my license until june next year.
    cheers

just out of curiosity what exactly does a shop fitter do?are they the guys that put in all the arc and doors and all of that kind of stuff?

cheers

Shopfitters fit out shops, etc, they can also train in the making of stairs

as well. To be honest, I don't know all of the finer details but I do know

that some 3rd year shopfitting apprentices take home close to $1000 per

week with the hourly rate they are on + overtime. As a 4th year

apprentice cabinetmaker I'm on between $400 and $500 a week take

home. I have just a few weeks of my apprenticeship left(yah bloody

hoo). I'm not sorry I took up cabinetmaking, if I had have known 4 years

ago, I'd have done building - better money and more/different

opportunities. If I were in my early 20's I'd go and do building but I'm in my

mid 30's so I won't do another apprenticeship now.

Ok lol i was a bit off the mark they make a fair bit,why dont you like being a cabinet maker?what exactly do you being a cabinet maker?alot of people have told me to get an aprenticship doing it. I think ive settled on the triton powered saw table for the time been is there anything extra i should buy as an upgrade or an essential? thanks guys!

Default Might have a saw for you

Gags,
    was searching for something else and stumbled upon a new saw for $250. It has the following features:
    2HP Motor
    Includes Rip Fence & Mitre Guage
    Quality TCT Saw Blade

Might need to enquire about abour legnth etc. if you want to use a dado set and probably will require you to build a cabinet for it though. But is is within your price range.

The saw can be viewed via the following link.

http://www.tradetools.com.au

then go to woodworking equipment and then table saws. Don't know what the postage would be though.

Hopefully this will help you out.
    Cheers Jason

It's not a mistake it's a design feature!

thanks for the link mate the saw looks pretty good and the best part is its in my budget! Just wondering what you think of the quality?has anyone had one or used one? The arbor length isnt to much of a problem to me as i dont think i will need a dado blade for the time been.
    much apreciated

Ok lol i was a bit off the mark they make a fair bit,why dont you like being a cabinet maker?what exactly do you being a cabinet maker?alot of people have told me to get an aprenticship doing it. I think ive settled on the triton powered saw table for the time been is there anything extra i should buy as an upgrade or an essential? thanks guys!

I don't hate being a cabinetmaker, there is more money else where like

building or shopfitting. At the moment money is very important, my wife

and I are paying $3000 a month in mortgage payments which is hard for

us with me being an apprentice. I cut out kitchens, vanities, laundries etc

- edge them - build them - build the kicks and level them - assemble

everything as it would be onsite and then fit the drawers and doors. It's

something you could train a monkey to do, however then you come across

those things from time to time that requires lateral thinking, that's why a

monkey can't do my job .

Make yourself a crosscut sled for the Powered Saw Table. This will come in handy rather than using the protractor, and is far more useful.

Oh yeh i see were your coming from with the aprentice wages. DO you think that the triton powered saw table or the table saw that bulldog sent the link for wuld be better? What wood would be recomended to built the mitre sled out of?
    cheers