Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Mirz, if the path is "gonna go, no matter what", do some investigation to help decide the best method of removal.

Drill a few holes right through with a masonry drill, and do this slowly - measure how far in the drill was (millimetres) before it broke out the other side. Now you have a good idea of slab thickness, and can start guessing at what size rubbish pile it will make.

Take a regular hammer, and dig a little way (maybe 150mm) under the corner of one slab - now hit the concrete with your hammer to see what is inside it, when broken. This will tell if there's reinforcing steel in it (unlikely, if it is older work or just a garden path).

Assuming there is no reo, I like the sledgehammer. Mine isn't huge; I can just use it with one arm if needed - no point having a tool that is too heavy for you to work efficiently. Also I agree with johnc's advice about lifting the slab slightly first with a piece of wood slipped under. Then it is a more gentle hit to crack the slab - remember you're not trying to make recycled gravel, just lumps that can be lifted - say 15-25kg each.

Work out how you will dispose of the waste materials, and arrange to put your removed concrete close as possible to the final point of disposal. It's likely to be slightly over 200kg of concrete and should take less than one fifth of a cubic metre in space - once broken up.

Regards, Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by mirz View Post
    so just by keep droping this Spud or Crow Bar on concrete slab, it will be able to break that slab easily?
    not quite just 'dropping' the bar, more throwing it down. hold verticle, lift 300 - 400mm, and throw it straight down (remember to loosen your grip before it hit the concrete

if all else fails, you could hire an decent electric jackhammer from kennards (or similar) for about $100 a day.

thanks guys for keep writing.

bought a crowbar from Bunnings today, and started working with it. but i think weekend would be the right time to do this.

i got this crowbar 1800mm X 30mm for $75. its quite heavy

concrete is about 50mm deep, and so far i have not hit any reo. (but have done very little work on it today, was too tired after whole day of work)

will try to put crowbar under slab and try to tilt it as well, as advised by few members here.

actualy i have done 2 holes previously in this slab with mesanory drill to install my 2.3m C Band satellite dish.

here i have attatched 2 pics before start of this project so you can see concrete slb in lawn i am talking about.

Should come up a sinch...there's dirt either side so it will be easy to try lift up the sides a bit to get something underneath.

I would try smashing the corner with the big sledgehammer, then use some of the broken bits as leverage for the crowbar to lift the side, then you can smash the top again. Hit the expansion joints, it will break up pretty easy.

btw... decent satellite dish is that for communicating out of space?
    Planned Landscape Constructions
    www.plannedlandscape.com.au

LOL, this dish is to watch my Pakistani TV channels from asiasat3s

according to plan this dish will also be moved from here and i will install it on pole with side wall. in that way we will have full open backyard for kids to play on either Sports Couch or Palmetto turf (still trying to make final decision which one would be better)

yeah, you are right, its in middle of lawn and three sides is just dirt, specialy after trenching with Dingo, soil in very soft. these pics are before last weekend's Dingo project

started working on one slab yesterday. in half an hour with my Jumbo crowbar, was able to make an impact of about 2 cms deep, but so far have not encountered with any reo (good news).

plus i have removed soil from one side, and slab cross section is visible now, will take pic and post them tonight.

tried to left from side, but it was way too heavy for me

Put a brick or big bock of timber on the ground then lever against it to lift the concrete
    Trying to pry it against the dirt wont work

Mirz,

The trick is to get the leverage working for you, the brick or lump of timber becomes a fulcrum. Push the tip about 25mm or so of the bar under the outermost edge of the slab and lift enough to take up the slack. Push a piece of timber or a brick under the bar as close to the slab as you can preferably around 50mm or so from the edge of the concrete at most then push down on the bar. The piece of wood acts as a lever and gives you a lot more power for the same amount of effort. If the fulcrum sinks into the ground get a flat broad piece of board to spread the weight on the ground with the fulcrum on top and try again.

Unlike the others I tend to use the blunt end of the bar for breaking bringing it down hard and not letting go, its hard on the hands if they are a bit soft. However it only works if you can lift the slab slightly to create a bit of air underneath. My method contains much of the force at the point of impact and prevents some of the spring in the slab working against you.

With a bar, a few pieces of timber and some rollers its not that hard to move items of several hundred kilo's around without to much effort. Mind you flat surfaces are an essential part of the equation.

Experiment a bit and see what works for you,

LOL, this dish is to watch my Pakistani TV channels from asiasat3s does the satellite dish actually rotate/move Mirz? one of my mates has got a vietnamese fella next door to him and he can pick up like 1000+ channels his dish would be alot bigger than that just curious on how much they are worth shes a ripper

Quote Originally Posted by patty View Post
    LOL, this dish is to watch my Pakistani TV channels from asiasat3s does the satellite dish actually rotate/move Mirz? one of my mates has got a vietnamese fella next door to him and he can pick up like 1000+ channels his dish would be alot bigger than that just curious on how much they are worth shes a ripper
    mine is 2.3m mesh dish, cost me about $250 including dish and LNB (connects on focal length of dish). plus $100 for free to air satellite receiver.

my work place built that stand for me, (thanks to greate work mates)

i did not put motor to rotate this, was only interested to watch few channels in my language, otherwise motor costs around $150, and you can watch heaps and heaps of channels from all over the world.

even on AsiaSat3S, there are about 50~60 chinese channels, but i cannot understand them so cannot realy appreciate that service

could not take pics today, spend some time on mission concrete destroyer

i think main problem is so far i could not make any crack in concrete. its like i m digging in it, which is hard and not giving me much luck.

fortunately only one corner got cracked and able to break a triangle chunk of corner, but other than that, its like banging head on wall.

i put a stone close to slab, insert crowbar about 40mm under slab and tried to use it as lever, but i can hardly shake it (very very small movement)

after spending about hour and half i m on bit low, feeling like to try something different. it seems like not realy working

So where can I buy a sattelite dish for $250?

Quote Originally Posted by rileyp View Post
    So where can I buy a sattelite dish for $250?
    i bought it from following place:
    http://www.phoenixtelevision.com.au/...b985904692823b

its in Morrabin, bit far from Geelong though

finaly i have decided to hire a JackHammer to break these slabs into pieces so i can get rid of them.

can someone please recommend any specific Jackhammer which would be ideal to do this job easily, thanks.

concrete is about 100mm thick without Reo.

Just get a Hitachi electric hammer, very easy to use probably around $45 a day, can't remember that last time I hired one
    Planned Landscape Constructions
    www.plannedlandscape.com.au