Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Talking

Hey!
    Zed,
    throw him a Red,
    show him/her .......Hmmmmm Her (me thinks)
    what a Red is.
    I got shown................REMEMBER...........
    Navvi

Quote Originally Posted by All Safe
    In most cases electrical tools are safe. Most of the problems that are picked up in test and tagging is in a visual inspection.

Test and tagging is not going to pick up every thing because the tool may be damaged 5 mins after the tool is tested. but I have found many thing that look like the are in new condition yet they have a fault that could be potentially be live threatening.<O</O
    <O
    Before use of a tool people should be inspecting them for danger signs, like damage to the cord and burning at the plug because no one wants to die at work or doing their hobby.
    Like I said, its all a political wank.

Al

Quote Originally Posted by ozwinner
    Like I said, its all a political wank.

Al
    What, you don't support the ETU and all those training providers making money in courses and all the electrical mobs making money from selling $1k tagging machines and tags?

I say the ETU should fight harder to have it so that only sparkies can do it - then it'd die it's due death as most sparkies couldn't be stuffed with such crap....

In a case that a active wire torches the chassis and the case becomes electrified, a person will not get an electric shock as the current will travel down the path of least resistance i.e. the earth.
    <O If you touch the chassis you become the earth you pelican. A properly working RCD will trip saving your life.
    An RCD will help most of the time but not in all cases. On some faults an RCD will not trip. THe T&T theory is to ensure damaged leads are rectified, I doubt there are too many problems an RCD will miss that are life threatening.
    <O
    Tools do not have to be tested every 3 months unless you are on construction sites (union sites). Under the AS3760 tools should be tested every 6 months, it is only in the Victorian construction code of practices that it states that things should be tested every 3 months <ODifferent legislature in different states dictate different testing procedures, on top of that individual companies need to document their individual tesing regime, which may differ from legislature in as much as an individuals testing programme may deem it necassary to test more often. Add to this many busnesses aren't covered by specific legislature requiring the individual to decide on a satisfactory testing regime, and you can understand why I think this is all utter crap desigened by wallies with little willies to capitilise on honest people making an honest living.
    So, show us some pics of your latest woodwork project.
    Boring signature time again!

iv got saftey switches circiut breakers in my box so i dont give a rats about the taging crap. i even have an old metabo 1/2 sheet i use with wet and dry cutting back tables, and i carefully dip the pad in a bucket with soapy water after spraying on water on the table, and in 6 years of doing that its tripped 2 times. so im not going to rush into the taging rot
    Blowin in the Wind

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan in Oz
    Hey!
    Zed,
    throw him a Red,
    show him/her .......Hmmmmm Her (me thinks)
    what a Red is.
    I got shown................REMEMBER...........
    Never fear, Al is here, kabongggggg!!!!!

Al

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Watson
    Well I am about to do the course and get licenced to T&T...so maybe I can start a sideline business!! :confused: :confused:
    Shane,

I did mine a couple of months ago. In Qld, to do it as a business you've got to be either a licenced electrical contractor or have a restricted electrical licence (six months, I think) and have demonstrated experience. We got a contracting company to do ours at work last year and the cost was $30k but admittedly, that was the first time we had it done seriously. Won't cost anywhere near that in the future.

I tend to agree that its just another enforced wank though.

Cheers,
    Keith

At every Working With Wood Show every lead (even new ones in the pack), every lathe that a demonstrator is using, every sander and in fact every tool and light is tested and tagged. Remember that it is every show. No tag, no work.

Whilst I don't agree with the Companies approach to coming on the board I still think it is a relevant point for tradies working on site and if it made 1 person look at their leads it is probably a good thing.

But then again, how many other forum members hold testing qualifications??
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Well I am about to do the course and get licenced to T&T...so maybe I can start a sideline business!! :confused: :confused:
    Shane I know at least 7 tradsmen and a couple of marine engineers here in NSW that have done the course just to test and tag their own stuff , or mates gear at a resonable cost, their big cost is the tags themselves
    I almost did the course myself along the same thoughts of doing a backyard buissness but shmbo vetoed it saying yourve finally fully retired don't start any new buissnesses.

The realy outragious thing I find is that the tools have to be checked weather they have been used since the last check or not Have a chippie mate that has an angle grinder in his trailor among other stuff may only use It once a year if that but has to get it tagged each 6 months
    The other example I heard was the painter only plug in thing he had was a radio , he was working on the telstra building in newcastle and got done for $500 , radio wasn't tagged
    Ashore

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

Quote Originally Posted by echnidna
    But then again, how many other forum members hold testing qualifications??
    Yep,
    not that I use it much.
    To busy making 'Clean' water; Caling Stupid Insruments
    and generating 'Lectricity; where I work......:eek:

Sorry where I am Employed
    Navvi

The other bum thing bout the regs is that brand spanking new equipment straight out of the box must be tested and tagged.
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Testing and tagging is more important than all of you are making out

Oh yes, it is important, but not as important as you are making out.

There are a lot of molded leads that are manufactured which will have plugs wired the wrong way and broken earths. The earth saves lives.

I have yet to see a molded plug that was faulty. And I guess I have seen quite a few...

In a case that a active wire torches the chassis and the case becomes electrified, a person will not get an electric shock as the current will travel down the path of least resistance i.e. the earth.

Last time I checked, most portable tools were double insulated, like drills and circular saws. Of course, you know that, or at least you should. And you are witholding that information, yes?

An RCD will help most of the time but not in all cases. On some faults an RCD will not trip.
    True, but those faults usually get caught by the circuit protection. You know, the thing they teach you in trade school the first few days. Fuses and breakers only protect the wiring. The RCD is a people protector.

Tools do not have to be tested every 3 months unless you are on construction sites (union sites). Under the AS3760 tools should be tested every 6 months, it is only in the Victorian construction code of practices that it states that things should be tested every 3 months

Ya know, I distinctly remember having 6 different colour tags at one point, and they matched to 2 different months each. Basically, tested every month. Not sure where that was though, might have been Sydney...

But that's all beside the point now.

You sound like the kind of fella that eats in the lunchroom all by himself because nobody wants to talk to him. Only time that happened to me was when I read the trivia questions in the paper and started answering them before the question was finished...

So, uhh, which cereal packet did you get your tagging permit from?

Because you sure as heck aren't an electrician of any repute if you have to resort to this kinda BS to drum up business.

Schtoo, tagged thousands of tools and leads, never made more than a beer off it.

While I wasn't joking about doing the T&T course. I am joking about making a business out of it!!....Ain't that silly.....

While I wasn't joking about doing the T&T course. I am joking about making a business out of it!!....Ain't that silly.....
    Why Call your self " ALL SAFE'R" And I doubt if anyone would complain about you posting an add here , and if they did ... well ... Swish
    Ashore

The trouble with life is there's no background music.