Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

What size/ shape/ grade piece do you want Pete? (I hope you're not going to try and replace that turbine blade you broke the other day at work with a home made version?)

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Michael G View Post
    What size/ shape/ grade piece do you want Pete? (I hope you're not going to try and replace that turbine blade you broke the other day at work with a home made version?)

Michael
    Hey Michael, the reason there's no rush is because I'm going to make some titanium fasteners. No biggie except they have socket heads, so I first need to make the rotary broach.

Given that both have been on the agenda for at least 2 years I reckon they should be done by around 2015

Pete

Edit: Hmmm, yes maybe I'll intentionally do a hot start at work, cook an engine, then offer to buy the resultant scrap off them. Good thinking!!

Good luck with that plan - of all the things I'd want titanium for making fasteners is not one of them. Apparently it work hardens so I reckon doing the screw threads would be a nightmare (followed closely by the sockets).
    You could buy them and save that frustration up for a project that really deserves it - RS components have them in their catalogue for one.

Michael

Michael I've been having trouble finding the precise ones I want, but RS is a good tip. They're normally not a cheap source, but certainly do have a lot of gear. I'll check them out, thanks for the tip.

Pete

If you chaps are after a source of titanium closer to home then Airport Metals Australia stock a range of titanium rod and sheet. They are located at Tullamarine in Melbourne, and do have a minimum order of $100. They stock other metals also (check the online stock guide), and upon request will forward a price list. Prices I have found to be fair, given that the materials come with a spec sheet and traceability.

No connection with these guys other than as a customer through work.

Cheerio
    Tom

I think that titanium is one of the most abundant ores in the World. Any Titanium work hardens very quickly, you need a VERY sharp tool and take positive cuts, don't think that you will be able to take a fine cut with a blunt cutter.
    A friend of mine makes dental implants for a living from Ti to incredibly close tolerances and he uses well honed HSS. Sharpen and hone!! I don't think the abrading will work too well but it would be worth a go.
    Best of luck!!
    cheers
    Bill