Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: which proxxon?

Yeah, I agree about most routers and the buzz they make. I have a 1991 Bosch which I'd love to find more of (the big blue ones) and a Hitachi. But the Festool OF1400 leaves them both for dead when it comes to noise, precision, repeatability. But It's only had a fraction of the use the other ones have endured.*

*I once profiled 1.2 km of timber in one session on the Hitachi. Take that!

(With a Northern Tools supplied Infinity router bit which still looks and acts like new)

I own a Makita sander circa 1991 which is on its fourth set of bearings (About $6.00/set). I also have a 1978 Makita battery drill which still works. It was probably the best consumer tool made that year. Beats me why I even mentioned that; I guess someone had to.

Does anyone else have that stupid impulse of not wanting to use the good tool on a job...using instead the still chugging but seen better days work-a-day tool?
    It's all part of the service here at The House of Pain™

Thanks Fellas,

No doubt about it, Makita make the loudest power tools I've ever heard. My 3600BR router is a ripper, but it's as loud as a turbine. The biscuit jointer is not much better.

The better Makita laminate trimmer has an alloy body. I don't have it, but might have to add it to the shopping list.

I'll check out the MEW article. I still need a die grinder, so I reckon I'll be getting a Proxxon either way.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Q View Post
    Does anyone else have that stupid impulse of not wanting to use the good tool on a job...using instead the still chugging but seen better days work-a-day tool?
    Depends on the job Greg. I never take my Starrett square out of the workshop when I'm doing building type work, even though it's perfect for the job. I've got a cheapy for that. I do use my Festool router for all freehand work though. It's such a joy to use, I'm prepared to risk damaging it outdoors.