Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Smile

Linelefty,

from a medical point of view, although your neighbour is an absolute idiot and should probably be castrated, his tools taken away and made to use a tooth brush to paint my timber home ... your family is probably going to be ok.

Interstitial lung disease due to asbestos occurs after prolonged exposure over many years, as does mesothelioma. You'd have to basically be sitting outside breathing in the stuff as the idiot was cutting it.... for many months :eek: .

I do however share your concern about the 37 degrees and no aircon. And I do hope they plan on cleaning your property PROPERLY.

Best of luck mate

Hey Lefty, If the ridge spacing is 6" it may or may not be asbestos. If the ridge spacing is 8" its super 8 and not asbestos. Its all dangerous in dust form. I got some of my super 6 checked out by a lab and it came back negative for blue asbestos and its about 14 years old.

Its no consolation to me that my old commonwealth medical file has "Asbestos exposure" stamped all over it but you have to look out for your family mate.

Fair dinkum, I pulled out 28 metres of the super 6 by myself and just a shovel, all done in an hour and a half. How hard is it?.

Sick em Rex

Cheers
    Squizzy

"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all" {screamed by maths teacher in Year 8}

Interesting story along the same lines

I bought a house built in the early fifties with a super 6 roof. After we had been in the house for about a year decided the roof had to go. I made a few phone calls to professional abestos removers and they all quoted figures around $5000. The replacement roof was going to cost me only $3800, so i made some enquiries as to wether or not i could do the job myself.
    First call was to the local council, asked building services what i needed to do. The reply was that it is out of their jurisdiction better call EPA.
    Second call - EPA. The EPA said that as long as we take the sheets of intact and take care great care to minimize dust it will be okay, excpet for transport. Current QLD legislation states that ithout a special licence you can not carry more that 250kg of dangerous goods and it must be fully covered. So i ask "What if I make several trips?", reply "Fine by us!". Lastly they recommended I call Workplace Health and Safety.
    Third call - WH&S. I found out that since I was doing the work on my own property for my own benefit that WH&S laws all but don't count and I didn't have to wear an safety gear if I want. (Needless to say, I wore every piece of safety gear that I could.) But just to be sure the bloke at WH&S said that I should call my local council???
    Back to square ONE.
    Anyway, I did a lot of research on the web looking at every piece of information or legislation that I could find in Australia and did everything that I could to prevent anyone else being exposed to the sheeting.
    The worst part was when I took the sheeting to the dump the management team out there had dug a big hole for me to place the sheeting in. Only problem was that I could not get the ute anywhere near the hole. "She'll be right, just but it where you can and we will move it later." After the last trip I went to the "trash and Treasure" shop at the tip to look around and looked back to see my stack of sheeting being driven over by a great big dozer??!??
    Must admit I left as quickly ad I could.

To end a long story, I did everything that I could and in the end it didn't make one ***** of difference.
    Have a nice day - Cheers

I recently removed some super six sheeting from my old carport. I simply hired a skip which is lined with heavy duty plastic, loaded up the offending material and sealed the skip with the same plastic. The skip company took it to the contaminated waste site and did the EPA paperwork - all for $250.

I did similar research to you, Wood Butcher, about disposing it at the dump, but it seemed like a major hassle.

Update,

The council inspector came out, and contrary to all your jaded views!, he was a good bloke who seemed really concerned. He's assured us that its Super 6, but is concerned that it my still have an asbestos component in it as it looks at least 20yrs old. Even if it isn't he says the dust from hardi(pitoohey!)fence is still dangerous.

He did have a good long look at the half finished house extensions this bloke has slapped up...............

Thanks all
    Cheers,

Adam

------------------------------------------

I can cure you of your Sinistrophobia