Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

settle down brickie,
    I was refering to a person fat or otherwise that dominates his union members or if an employer his workers.

This is going to be an uncomfortable thread so i sugest posters read the posts carefully and think about replies.

Astrid

Well, my view of unions is that they are a sort of "necessary evil"; although the use of the word evil is harsh. To my way of thinking the system works through binary oppositions of Greenies/rednecks, unions/unfair employers, conservatives/progressives, leftist politics/rightist politics, brickies/humans (that one's for you, Al).

In the other thread I was annoyed by those who are just so one-sided that they "hate" unions with a passion and forget that we don't function all that well as a society without such checks and balances.

Let's look at the greenies for example. For years conservatives have been treating greenies as if they are scum, but now we're all starting to accept that the message they were presenting to us was right. We have been damaging the environment.

I see unions as doing something of the same thing in the workplace. You just can't have all of the power on one side, because we humans are a nasty greedy lot who tend to exploit those over whom we have power.

Quote Originally Posted by astrid View Post
    wheelin,
    commas are useful things,
    I take this as
    you nominated, were voted in, and resigned the next day,
    so why did you nominate?

Astrid

Ps not all Union reps are fat control freaks, many of us take on the job because its needed and no-one else wants it. I was 6 months preg when I took it on and believe you me i would have been happier if somone else could have been bothered.
    No I wasn't there is what I said and was nominated not nominated by myself. I resigned from the union on the spot that day.

This is a once off warning. It is purely by good grace that I am letting this thread go (for now)

If any personal attacks, comments etc start, infractions will be given to the guilty parties and any future discussion on this topic will be banned.

Quote Originally Posted by astrid View Post
    wheelin,
    commas are useful things,
    I take this as
    you nominated, were voted in, and resigned the next day,
    so why did you nominate?

Astrid

Astrid, when I grew up one of the things my parents taught me was that it was a bad idea for people in glass houses to throw stones!

If you read your own posts prior to this, there isn't a comma in sight, and capitals are few and far between as well.

I won't join in the union debate, either for or against, but you at least gave me a laugh with your gratuitous advice to wheelin re punctuation.

Ok, but you cant nominate someone without their say so, in any election, and for the vote to be valid.
    I suggest that your election would be invalid and you didnt need to resign, just say, whah! b-- off

astrid

I used to find in many unions through people I dealt with that their particular union laws etc stated that "No Management could be a Union rep" all to often who's the rep a supervisor a manager, a forman. These days Union reps could be breaching their own union laws by having shares through managed investments in the company they work for such as their own super for example.

Business across from me, non unoin, 10 staff, very well looked after, made a large piece of equipment for the Mint. The owner and 2 workers followed the semi to spend the day to install it. On arivall, naturaly they wernt allowed in to finish the job because they didnt have a ticket. After a few hours they gave up and were resigned to the fact they had no option but to join.
    But that wasnt all. They had to join the unions super fund, BUT their is more, they had to transfere ALL the super from their own accounts and deposit into the unions account. Fair dinkum what a joke. Like Al, i also loath them. Yes they might do some good, but in general they are nothing but a bunch of jerks.

And BS somtimes punctuation is not that important when your meaning is easily decipherable, Yeah my spelling can be atroshus too.

but as i said, this is going to be a bit contentous so we should take a little more care if our meaning is to not be misconstrued.
    alright?

Astrid

Red face

Unions;
    Seen 'em do good,
    seen 'em do "Not so Good"........ ie Bad!

Then again,
    I've had some VERY!!!! GOOD Bosses,

I've had some attrocious Bosses as well.
    Hmmmmm
    Have a look at the top of the Telecom PILE

Both Unions, and Bosses cover the Spectrum
    Navvi

Quote Originally Posted by Lignum View Post
    Business across from me, non unoin, 10 staff, very well looked after, made a large piece of equipment for the Mint. The owner and 2 workers followed the semi to spend the day to install it. On arivall, naturaly they wernt allowed in to finish the job because they didnt have a ticket. After a few hours they gave up and were resigned to the fact they had no option but to join.
    But that wasnt all. They had to join the unions super fund, BUT their is more, they had to transfere ALL the super from their own accounts and deposit into the unions account. Fair dinkum what a joke. Like Al, i also loath them. Yes they might do some good, but in general they are nothing but a bunch of jerks.
    There's the problem in a nutshell, Lignum. The 10 staff across the road are very well looked after. If all employers were like that, goodbye unions.

But they're not

Quote Originally Posted by Wood Butcher View Post
    This is a once off warning. It is purely by good grace that I am letting this thread go (for now)

If any personal attacks, comments etc start, infractions will be given to the guilty parties and any future discussion on this topic will be banned.

Wow!! Go Rowan..

Wheelin, but pardon me that is rubbish,
    When I was rep most of our members were supervisors or management me included.
    we just put on another hat when dealing with workplace issues, as a lot of people who come up through the ranks are expected to do.
    those who couldnt were swiftly sat on and politley asked to leave management concerns for the appropriate time and forum.

astrid

Union member half my working life. Non union member for rest.
    Never noticed the difference.
    Never had any problems, contact, or use for unions.

Put me in the rats ring group.

Hi rowen,
    I dont think anyone is being hurt or insulted, we're all big kids and if they dont enjoy the debate they wouldnt be on it.

if anyone insults personally or is abusive by all means take it down.

Astrid