Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need to vent!

Quote Originally Posted by Gingermick View Post
    so in case you had to build a house and some furniture on a deserted island?
    Something like that
    It's only a mistake if you don't learn from it.

What they all said.

When you spend some time in the real world, in any profession, there will be times when you'll be b-o-r-e-d; t-o; d-e-a-t-h. And your professional duties will demand your full attention to such trivia. In the past few days, a couple commercial airplane pilots dropped the ball, and they've now lost their licenses, as well as their livelihood. It could have been worse - much worse.

You'll be right, though, now that you've vented.

Cheers,
    Joe
    Of course truth is stranger than fiction.
    Fiction has to make sense. - Mark Twain

Two saying from the Army: "Hurry up, and wait.", and, "Greatcoats on, greatcoats off." The is need for a lot of patience in the military services.

soth

Michael, I understand your frustration, there is nothing worse than doing a repetitive no-brainer job. The last engineering place I worked would employ 3 - 4 apprentices (fitting & turning) a year, put them on a machine and leave them there for their entire apprenticeship. These kids got to use some of the biggest and best CNC machines I've ever seen, but that's all they knew. At the end of their apprenticeships most of them would leave due to boredom. Unfortunately most came back within 2 months as they were unemployable due to their limited experience.
    I agree with the others on one point though, stick with the apprenticeship you're in for the moment, but keep looking for a REAL cabinet making apprenticeship. You may have to look outside your immediate area and be prepared to move to Brissy or elsewhere if there are no real cabinet makers on the GC.
    Just think of the future, if you do get an apprenticeship doing real cabinet making you could move back to the GC when you're a tradie and blow those "white box" guys out of the water.

Note to others: I don't think Michael was complaining about working, nor do I think he wanted to start at the top. He just wants an apprenticeship where he can learn ALL facets of the trade, not to be used as cheap labour.
    Last edited by Grumpy John; 29th October 2009 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Added note.
    To grow old is inevitable.... To grow up is optional

Confidence, the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.

What could possibly go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by mickelmaster View Post
    Arghhhh, ive gotten myself into a 4 year cabinet making apprenticeship, all we do is screw stuff together, dont even need to drill holes, usually having a job wouldnt annoy me, but im just about to finish year 12, have high achievement in all my classes, got the award for manual arts and its all for nothing! I couldve started this really boring apprenticeship 2 years ago!!!
    MM,
    looks like you aren't rising to the tease from the poor devils that "used to 'ave to get up out of shoebox at twelve o'clock at night and lick road clean wit' tongue" ( Monty Python)
    Seems to me a little more sympathy and encouragement is more in order than criticism.

What I have found over the last 20 years is that the past process of finding employment in an apprenticeship has changed, from a self help system to a new type that makes the whole thing into some type of regulated, step by step program. This was done, I believe, without asking the employers if they though it was a good idea.
    I know for a fact that in the years between 1980 and about 1990 I had about 1 or 2 young people a month come to my workshop, either with some parental encouragement, or without it, and ask for an apprenticeship in Jewellery making. After the "work experience" program started to take shape, that all changed and it became a rare thing. What I got was parents or schools asking if I take on work experience kids.
    At the time this happened what I desperately wanted was a bright young kid to walk into my workshop, look me in the eyes and ask me if I could teach them to be the best jewellery maker they could be. What I got were kids who had no interest, knowledge, talent or enthusiasm for for making anything...let alone making fine handcrafted jewellery.
    I could tell you about friends and relations who's kids got good trade apprenticeships by doing as I advise...walk into a workshop, look the proprietor in the eye and ask if there is an opportunity for you to learn to make fine furniture like the stuff they make.
    AND btw...that's how I got my first job making jewellery...then at a couple more places before I went out on my own.
    So keep at it...look around for the better cabinetmaking workshops, and maybe some similar associated trades...TV or film set makers, Theater / ballet set makers perhaps, and just walk up to them and put your case!

Best of luck,
    Peter
    Peter McBride Goldsmith Jeweller

If you do your work well,and when you finish a job early,go to your foreman and ask what's next?Don't ever give them reason to think you're lazy Make it perfectly clear you are keen as anything to learn or do more.If you see a better way or quicker way, of doing things,suggest it!
    These are what I used to do,and it got me to section supervisor in different sections of the factory,and input on how to run things.I was in that job for sixteen years.
    If you show initiative,you will be more recognised,for someone to be valued.Be honest about you're stuff ups as well.It takes a bigger person to admit they made a mistake,than to lie about one.
    Life wasn't meant to be easy!!!!And ain't that the truth!

Hey MM how's the apprenticeship going? Have they given you any real cabinet making to do yet?
    To grow old is inevitable.... To grow up is optional

Confidence, the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.

What could possibly go wrong.

No, ive dropped the apprenticeship and now work for my brother. Im gonna use some of the money I earn to start up a workshop at home instead.
    Michael

If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem...

No, ive dropped the apprenticeship and now work for my brother. Im gonna use some of the money I earn to start up a workshop at home instead.
    There are many ways to learn. So what's your brother do?
    anne-maria.
    T
    ea Lady

(White with none)
    Follow my little workshop/gallery on facebook. things of clay and wood.

He installs and fixes / services Solahart hot water systems so theres some decent money in it and i get to meet all kinds of people and see all kinds of places.
    Michael

Be careful on those roofs young man. It's often a long way down, and you often get make the mistake just once. Be safe and stay alive and walking.

Cheers

Yeah im always pretty careful, being doing it since i was a kid so i know what to look out for.
    Michael

Arghhhh, ive gotten myself into a 4 year cabinet making apprenticeship, all we do is screw stuff together, dont even need to drill holes, usually having a job wouldnt annoy me, but im just about to finish year 12, have high achievement in all my classes, got the award for manual arts and its all for nothing! I couldve started this really boring apprenticeship 2 years ago!!!
    if you're that good academicly, why are you doing an apprenticeship?

most of the Australian cabinet making industry is about kitchens and wardrobes made from veneered particle board. You're going to struggl finding an apprenticeship in a place that works solid wood.

If you really want to get into "proper" furniture & cabinetmaking you should investigate the courses offered at Sturt Sturt School for Wood where you can get your certificate IV in 12 months, rather than 4 years

The Australian wood Review site has a list of other courses Australian Wood Review - Schools and Courses
    regards from Alberta, Canada

ian

Do your studies now and get them over with. It's much easier than dropping full time work and coming back when you ahve bills and commitments. Believe me - that's the way I did it and if it wasn't for a *very* suppoertive partner and her family I couldn't have done it.

That course is an excellent one by all accounts. I'd do it myself, but I couldn't afford to take a year off... It might be in NSW southern highlands, but a reasonable part time job, shared accomodation and you'll have a blast of a year and learn heaps. Then you'll be in a good position to work with some place that does custom furniture...

cheers,
    Dave
    ...but together with the coffee civility flowed back into him
    Patrick O'Brian, Treason's Harbour