Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hi Sheddy

Been trying to think of what to say. After all, the last thing that those of us in middle age want to hear is that retirement isn't the modern equivalent of the land of milk and honey...

So all I can say is, welcome back to the land of the employed, 2007 shows that you left too soon..

Best of luck up north (hey it could be worse - what if you had to live on the Mainland like me)
    Cheers

Jeremy
    If it were done when 'tis done, then 'twere well it were done quickly

Good luck with the next phase of your life Sheddy.

... you won't be the first to find that full retirement isn't all the its cracked up to be (though seems you got more than your fair share of troubles). Going part-time first seems to work better for many of us.

FWIW this is my take: when you hit your fifties you have accumulated experience and nous and become much less willing to work in a setting where you can't use it. On the other hand, it gets much harder to find the kind of job where you can. So while you may well be settled as regards house and family, you have to get active changing jobs to find how to do your best work and it looks daunting. Not least cos you might be worried about impact on super.

But when you send the news out that you're looking sometimes they come to you - as in your case. Nice feeling.
    Cheers, Ern

Quote Originally Posted by rsser View Post
    Good luck with the next phase of your life Sheddy.

... you won't be the first to find that full retirement isn't all the its cracked up to be (though seems you got more than your fair share of troubles). Going part-time first seems to work better for many of us.

FWIW this is my take: when you hit your fifties you have accumulated experience and nous and become much less willing to work in a setting where you can't use it. On the other hand, it gets much harder to find the kind of job where you can. So while you may well be settled as regards house and family, you have to get active changing jobs to find how to do your best work and it looks daunting. Not least cos you might be worried about impact on super.

But when you send the news out that you're looking sometimes they come to you - as in your case. Nice feeling.
    In a nutshell mate.
    If you never made a mistake, you never made anything!

Quote Originally Posted by jmk89 View Post
    Hi Sheddy

Been trying to think of what to say. After all, the last thing that those of us in middle age want to hear is that retirement isn't the modern equivalent of the land of milk and honey...

So all I can say is, welcome back to the land of the employed, 2007 shows that you left too soon..

Best of luck up north (hey it could be worse - what if you had to live on the Mainland like me)
    Ta for that. Maybe when I finally do retire I can be the woody pop of all my grandkids....that'll keep me busy.
    If you never made a mistake, you never made anything!