Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  33
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thanks for all the sympathy guys! Just getting derision at home.....

Cheers,
    Joe
    Cheers,
    Joe
    9"thicknesser/planer, 12" bench saw, 2Hp Dusty, 5/8" Drill press, 10" Makita drop saw, 2Hp Makita outer, the usual power tools and carpentry hand tools...

I'm glad it wasn't worse......

Hope it doesn't hurt *too* much...

Quote Originally Posted by Grahame Collins View Post
    Tell me you have had some medical attention on that. Those type of cuts and abrasions from disc wheels typically will infect all too easy due to the contamination dragged in by the wheel.

Its the cleaning out bit that hurts

The wheel is a fantastic bit of technology and one can cut like a surgeon with them, but crikey you weren't supposed to take that literally.
    Get better soon.

Grahame
    I found out (accidentally) that flooding a cut like that with acetone cleans it out effectively - and adds wonderful new phrases to your vocabulary...

My angle grinder cuts have been seared closed by the heat and so have not bled but then they have not been quite as bad as that.

I fully understand what you are saying about your thumb.

I have had many injuries to my hand. One of the worst was dropping the flywheel of a Ford 250 2V (10 inch clutch) on my hand while rotating it to line up the bolt holes. It had to be the sixth try to get it lined up but it fell off just before it actually lined up. It landed directly on my little finger and partially on the next one. I could clearly see bone. Despite the pain and shock I put the flywheel back on and turned it again to line up and fitted all six bolts in hand tight, all with my hanky wrapped around the fingers. I then got up and walked inside and just made it to my bed before I went out like a light.

Since I have been living on the farm my injuries have been many and varied but I wont go there. It is true farms are dangerous places and irate stock don't help.

My wife copped a beauty last year. She was hit on the top of her head while bending over, by the head of a large sheep that was bolting and took a jump straight into the impact. I ran straight over and grabbed her in case she dropped but she was still on her feet. She had a bit of a head ache tho.

Dean

Dean,

Sheep's head may as well be solid bone. Not much brain inside.

Ken

Hi Joe, it's a girl

Quote Originally Posted by Toggy View Post
    Dean,

Sheep's head may as well be solid bone. Not much brain inside.

Ken
    True. Have you ever seen a video of wild sheep fighting? They have solid heads. Mind you I think that the average person is just as solid in the head department.

Our sheep have enough brains to destroy fences etc if they get a bit of a hole to work on tho.

Dean

Hi Joe, hope the cut heals soon, I did something similar except that I did it just below my knee. I was doing my son a favor doing some body work in the engine bay of his car, took ages to heal.
    Kryn

Quote Originally Posted by jhovel View Post
    The thin cut-off wheels in 115mm angle grinders work really well... and painlessly - at first...
    Cheers,
    Joe
    I managed to do a similar thing to my thumb going on 10 years ago. Unlike yours mine never bled. It was a perfectly sealed 3mm trench. I was at first amazed that it did not hurt. Then about 5mins later it stung and ached quite badly! I still have the scar from the bend in my thumb down to the nail to remind me that gloves are no match for angle grinders.

Incidentally I must admit it hurt a lot less than when I accidentally touched a glowing orange (misfiring) exhaust pipe with the back of my bare hand. One thing I can assure you I will not do again!

Joe was over here in Boomtown a couple of weeks ago and he and I visited fellow forum member Rod M. Somehow our conversation drifted onto close calls and near misses and me crushing the ends of two fingers between the pulley and belt of one of my Waldowns. Rod had said at the time we sometimes need a small mishap to wake us up. Woke me up. I imagine Joe's nip has done the same.

BT

Quote Originally Posted by Anorak Bob View Post
    Joe was over here in Boomtown a couple of weeks ago . . . . .
    I keep meaning to contact joe and yourself and apologise for not even offering you guys a cup of coffee. . . . .
    Oh well, it was nice to catch up with Bob and meet you Joe.

Next time

RE: Split finger tip.
    It sort of reminds me of cutting up whole big beef bones for the dogs on the bandsaw.
    First I freeze the bone to stop too much goo making a mess of the saw.
    Then I cut in half length wise, then split them down the middle so the dogs get a quarter bone at each sitting.

Quote Originally Posted by BobL View Post
    I keep meaning to contact joe and yourself and apologise for not even offering you guys a cup of coffee. . . . .
    Oh well, it was nice to catch up with Bob and meet you Joe.

Next time

RE: Split finger tip.
    It sort of reminds me of cutting up whole big beef bones for the dogs on the bandsaw.
    First I freeze the bone to stop too much goo making a mess of the saw.
    Then I cut in half length wise, then split them down the middle so the dogs get a quarter bone at each sitting.
    Reckon we were too engrossed in stories of gas fired furnaces, optical pyrometers and chainsaws to notice an absence of coffee.

Time for a nick name for Joe

Joe Three thumbs?

Its late, thats the best I can come up with.

Heal fast Joe, just dont forget

Stuart

Hi Guys, If we are going to mention how stupid we are I can toss in a couple. A few years ago I was cutting something for a model plane using trimming knife cutting towards me Duh. Took myself to hospital 7 stitches in forearm.
    went home, felt O.k. so continued, you guessed it, still cutting towards me another slip another cut just above the stitches. This one not so bad, decided to stop for the day.
    No. 2, about 3 metres up a ladder, with some fencing wire wrapped around a couple of 180mm posts & winding the wire up to tension the posts against a cross piece, using a length of 1/2 inch stainless rod. Hands got out of sync with the brain & the stainless came around & gave me a terrific whack on the head, At first only a couple of drops of blood then a few more then a torrent, got down off the ladder & made it to the back door, blood pouring everywhere, called out & the boss came out, saw me, rushed inside & came out with a towel, only problem was it was a real bright maroon, took me to the docs, & one look at what they thought was a blood soaked towel & rushed straight inside. Another 13 stitches.
    No 3, (this is all I'm going to admit to) Up a ladder (again) this time about 4.2 metres & was trying to wrap some 3 mm wire around a nail in the top of the post, ladder rotated & one leg was off the ground, (I was home alone) hugged the pole to keep the ladder there & thought if I kept my arms around the post I might be able to reduce the height, stupid idea, after 1 step down my arms weren't long enough to reach the post. went up 1 step & thats when the ladder decided to part company with the post. I crashed 4 metres to the ground & landed on my back, so far not too bad, a few milli seconds later the ladder arrived, another crack on the head. I'm learning that ladders & old age don't mix.
    tinkera

glad its just wasnt me

the little bugga's hurt dont they....