Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bricks,
    Thanks for those thoughts. I'll see what wonderplumb's opinion is.

I'll check the slope of the pipes at the next opportunity - next week as I've just had some physio on a leg problem.

What is an AAV?

Len

It's an Air admittamce valve, it only lets air into a pipe system. So you could cheaply cut one in under your sink and it won't let sewer smell get out and into your house but will let air into the drain system.

the vavle costs around $15-$30 plus some fittings.

It is basically like cutting in another vent pipe that you don't have to raise to above the roof level.
    If you dont play it, it's not an instrument!

I do agree with Bricks, I personally would have put it on the upstream side of the ensuite before the kitchen sink, but as we well know thats in a perfect world and construction will get in the way of these things. Technically there is nothing wrong with the position though not really a good look. Mate an AAV would be a good place to start, I would be inclined to put one under both the KS and the ensuite basin to relieve that bathroom group a bit, but the kitchen sink would be a good place to start. I just had a flashback to a job a few years ago, where we put in caroma carravelle pans with the concealed waste and the seal was sucking out of one of the pans from day one. Popped it and found that the pan collar rubber had partially covered the waste of the pan, causing it to back up a little and then suck its seal. Just a thought. suprised i can still think after last night...............
    Plumbers were around long before Jesus was a carpenter

P.S. bear in mind that your dergo vent iis installed 100mm above the wier of the trap, or as close as you can get it!

Quote Originally Posted by wonderplumb View Post
    P.S. bear in mind that your dergo vent its installed 100mm above the wier of the trap, or as close as you can get it!
    Thanks Bricks & Wonderplumb.

I assume the dergo vent is another name for an AAV.

I'm not sure what you mean by "its installed 100mm above the wier of the trap".

My interpretation is that it should be installed 100 mm above the water level in the sink (or ensuite basin) trap on the sewer side.

If this is correct, I don't see how it can be done since the water level will be at the bottom of the 90 degree bend that leads to the sewer. It is therefore not possible to install it 100 mm above this level.

Obviously I'm missing something.
    Len

you cut into the pipe lower than the trap, anywhere really- thats sraight section where you can easily spring in a junction.
    Then extend the pipe using 45 degree bends ( 90's ok too) so that the pipe becomes another vertical riser. you then install the valve as high as you can get it in the kitchen cuboard.

This is not installed in-line but on a seperate pipe within the cuboard.

Thanks Bricks,
    My understanding of what you wrote is as follows.

Cut the pipe and insert a 45 degree T (or would you call is a Y?) junction. Use a 45 degree bend to make the pipe vertical and install the valve on it as high as possible in the cupboard.

Is that correct?
    Len

correct. The T peice is a 50x50x45 degree pvc tee,

I normally put them right up about 20mm down from the underside of bench and right off in the back corner.

Thanks Bricks.
    Len

Sorry mate I should have explained it a little better but bricks has got you sorted, dergo is actually a brand of AAV, every one here just calls them dergo's because its less work!

I call them durgo's too wonderplumb, just that lately it seems that every plumbing store here in adelaide has lost all it's staff and hire new punk kids to run the shows. Ask them for a durgo and they type it into the computer and say "what's a durgo" coz apparently here in SA that brand is now hard to get or something.

Thats it mate, all the good blokes that Ive delt with at my suppliers have had a gutful of the politics (what politics I dont know, its not a very involved job) and gone to the commercial side of Hardly Normal. Now they got all these young fellas that couldnt give two f%&ks, eg. one store has this young fella that always looks stoned and gets the giggles when you ask for a nipple! Just before chrissy I went in to get some stock, inluding a few 1/2" nipples and he pulls the top of his shirt down and says, there mate thats about 1/2". I do see the funny side but not when you have a store full of people! I think he's a bit suss. Sorry champ ranting again..........

Yeah i think studor make one and hepvo or hepworth make one

Yup studor are the one's I normally end up with. I know what you mean about stoners in the stores, They can't work out anything. I get alot of deliveries and these guys are true neanderthalls, if they havn't got it- they just substitute it with anyhting that looks close, gives me the s.... every day. I have to check every order as it comes in.

Thanks Bricks & Wonderplumb for the assistance, much appreciated.

I'll have to install the AAV under the kitchen sink as it has 50 mm pipe.

Do you think I need one in the ensuite also?

The handbasin in the ensuite has a 40 mm pipe, so I would have to insert a 40/50 adapter - assuming that the AAVs only come in 50 mm.
    Len