Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Ask on the Hercus forum about your travelling steady,get some dimensions for a 260 steady and compare those to yours,by the picture they look similar.

According to lathes uk there was a 67 version.

Hi. Finally got around to joining the group. I would agree the Qualos is a better lathe than the Hercus. My lathe is #1010 and is a long bed floor mounted unit.
    I grew up using my Dad's Hercus AR and the Qualos is a much better unit, with geared head, roller bearings and the lever clutch within easy reach. Only advantage the Hercus has is the spring pin to drop out or reverse the lead screw where the Qualos uses a clamping bolt.
    I have the original operators Handbook and the fixed steady that came with it. When I get the chance I can scan the pages. My scanner doesn't work after I swaped the computer to Windows 7.
    Would love to change it to metric at some stage as my other lather and mill already are, but I need to sit down and work out the gears. The manual listed metric gears as an option, but didn't state what teeth. Should be a ratio of 25.4 I guess.
    I haven't had a need to for the steadies yet, but due to the long bed I guess one day I will.

Metmachmad is offline Turning useful pieces of steel into scrap metal.

Quote Originally Posted by T70MB View Post
    Hi. Finally got around to joining the group. I would agree the Qualos is a better lathe than the Hercus. My lathe is #1010 and is a long bed floor mounted unit.
    I grew up using my Dad's Hercus AR and the Qualos is a much better unit, with geared head, roller bearings and the lever clutch within easy reach. Only advantage the Hercus has is the spring pin to drop out or reverse the lead screw where the Qualos uses a clamping bolt.
    I have the original operators Handbook and the fixed steady that came with it. When I get the chance I can scan the pages. My scanner doesn't work after I swaped the computer to Windows 7.
    Would love to change it to metric at some stage as my other lather and mill already are, but I need to sit down and work out the gears. The manual listed metric gears as an option, but didn't state what teeth. Should be a ratio of 25.4 I guess.
    I haven't had a need to for the steadies yet, but due to the long bed I guess one day I will.
    I see a Qualos on evil bay at this time, by its look it appears somewhat rough with a few bits 'n peices missing, but bidding has taken it to $405 with about 5 days to the auctions end.
    Yeah, I agree that the tumbler gear locking arrangement is lacking in thought, but I guess you can't have everything.
    I would love to get a copy of the original handbook, if you ever manage to get your scanner working, don't you just love computors when they don't do as they are supposed to do?
    Turning useful pieces of steel into scrap metal.

Hello Qualos owners.
    I have a 5 1/4" Gearhead Qualos, I can't find any model number only the size, the serial number is D3A/10075/8055 quite a bit longer than the previous stated numbers. Mine looks the same as the restored one on the Lathes UK website. I have both stealies with mine & perhaps I could give dimentions if necessary. I would also be interested if a manual is posted.
    I am missing the drive worm & gear on mine & if anyone has the apron off one at any time would appreciate dimentions for same. I can measure the other gears for pitch etc but number of teeth on the gear & TPI of the worm would be good.
    The Lathes UK website quotes 8 gear head box & 8 speed Norton style box, mine has 9 speeds on each, I don't know if this is normal?
    I have been tied up on house renovations & recently bought a Mill so don't know when I will get to the Qualos (I have other lathes to use) but look forward to using that clutch one day.
    Good to see there are other preserved specimens out there, I try hard to beat the Scrappies whenever I can.
    Cheers Barry.
    Last edited by britannia; 17th August 2011 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Spelling mistakes.

Dave J Guest

Hi Barry and welcome to the for and thanks for joining in.

What sort of mill did you buy? There is a thread on show us your mill if you have any pictures (we all love pictures, LOL)
    https://www.woodworkforums.com/f65/sh...r-mill-121568/

There is also a thread on show us your lathe if you would like to share some pictures of your machines.
    https://www.woodworkforums.com/f65/sh...-lathe-121627/

No push, just thought I would mention it.

Dave

Metmachmad is offline Turning useful pieces of steel into scrap metal.

Quote Originally Posted by britannia View Post
    Hello Qualos owners.
    I have a 5 1/4" Gearhead Qualos, I can't find any model number only the size, the serial number is D3A/10075/8055 quite a bit longer than the previous stated numbers. Mine looks the same as the restored one on the Lathes UK website. I have both stealies with mine & perhaps I could give dimentions if necessary. I would also be interested if a manual is posted.
    I am missing the drive worm & gear on mine & if anyone has the apron off one at any time would appreciate dimentions for same. I can measure the other gears for pitch etc but number of teeth on the gear & TPI of the worm would be good.
    The Lathes UK website quotes 8 gear head box & 8 speed Norton style box, mine has 9 speeds on each, I don't know if this is normal?
    I have been tied up on house renovations & recently bought a Mill so don't know when I will get to the Qualos (I have other lathes to use) but look forward to using that clutch one day.
    Good to see there are other preserved specimens out there, I try hard to beat the Scrappies whenever I can.
    Cheers Barry.
    Barry,
    Where did you find that serial number? My number (935) is stamped on the top back far end of the bed.
    I did have my feed drive apart to make and install a new key drive. It was a real pain to get it out as I had to dismantle the gearbox to remove the leadscrew.
    It must be a misprint on the UK Lathe website as these are 9 speed for both headstock and gearbox.
    As a point of interest, below is an old undated newspaper advertisement for Qualos and Nuttal lathes. Maybe someone here will recognise the Melbourne address.-
    101 Lothian Street, Nth Melbourne.
    Last edited by Metmachmad; 18th August 2011 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Typing errors
    Turning useful pieces of steel into scrap metal.

Metmachmad.
    the serial number was on the end of the bed same as yours.
    Dave j.
    I just tried to upload some photo's but it failed, I have tried in the past & had no joy, this time the reason was, Security Token missing?
    I don't even know what one is.
    The Mill is an old Asian model(1984) that I bought at auction & badged as a "HMILL". All my machinery is aged (I prefer it that way) & ranges from a camelback drill with patent date of 1904, lathes are 1926 / 2of 1936 / 2of 1985 & the qualos1950?
    If you are interested I can list the names with dates, moat are in different states of repair but a couple are finished & useable, I will have to bone up on how to upload & perhaps get some photo's up.
    Three of the lathes are Australian by the way & one English.
    cheers Barry.

Dave J Guest

Your problems uploading might be because you are a new member. I think it is 10 posts and your name will change colour and you will probably able to put them up then.

Dave

Just tried again to upload a photo & now it works. the Qualos is still in as found condition plus heavy oiling to keep the rust devil away until I have time for restoration, it was donated to me by a friend after I sold him one of my Herless lathes because he thought there was more chance I would restore it.
    I have added a photo of my "F.W. BARNES" Camelback drill in case anyone is interested it was made in the early 1900's and can still push a 30mm drill through 40mm plate with no pre drilling, it turns out swarf like a big radial arm machine.
    If anyone wants images of the other machines I listed in my previous post I would be happy to upload some.

Qualos made gear hobbers as well..... There was one on ebay in Melbourne a year or so ago....
    Light red, the colour of choice for the discerning man.

Does the pope wear a funny hat? We like pictures and we like machines. We especially like pictures of machines!

Cool drill too.

Somone has an older drill than me :'( tick tick tick tick lol
    Does that top pulley have two speeds?

Stuart

Hello Stuart,
    The top pulley actually has eight speeds, four on the cone pulleys and inside the top cone there is a planetry gear that gives it back gears like a lathe.
    The lowest speed is 48 rpm highest 500 rpm, it is no high speed machine but you will not find many stronger.
    Thanks for your interest it is good to see I am not the only one who enjoys vintage machines.

Cheers Barry.
    Last edited by britannia; 29th August 2011 at 07:39 AM. Reason: mistake in text.

Hi Barry,
    yeah thats what I meant. Mine has a gearbox instead.

Here are some pictures of mine.
    https://www.woodworkforums.com/f65/ol...ml#post1303000
    I think(though I havent really drilled enough holes to be sure) being so solid helps the drills stay sharp longer. Maybe its the slow speed? Maybe its in my head lol

I don't know the rpm on mine, (it has the wrong motor on it) but now you have me wondering. I'll go check

edit:fastest speed is 650rpm in top. 128 in low. slowest speed in low is 33.4rpm(I figure the 0.4 is important at 33rpm lol) I didnt test the other speeds as its hard work on my poor little long suffering motor. One of these days I'll put the real motor back on.

Stuart