Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Rsser Ok thanks. I've got the idea now. If they help with planing technique it's worth trying. I'll try making one and see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by PopeFalcon View Post
    Ian

I've just started to build up a collection of planes I've picked up from flea markets and the like. I've just about got them fettled and am going to make new totes and knobs to replace the beat up ones they came with.

I hadn't seen the flat topped knobs before but am willing to try one out. Any chance you have rough dimensions for them? I currently have: No.4, 5, 5.5, and 6 that I'll be replacing the knobs on.

Thanks!
    PF - sorry, I've been out of action so a bit slow replying. Ern has directed you to a site with several 'low' knobs ilustrated, which are exactly the type that got me started, but it's hard to get the dimensions from a pic. The old flat topped knobs were about 2/3rds the height of the later ones and a little fatter. They varied with the size of the plane a bit, from the few I've seen. Unless you are trying to duplicate an old model exactly, it really doesn't matter. All I do is chop as much off the stud as I can (there's usually quite a bit of extra thread) & turn up a fatter, more flat-topped knob to suit. It's really a matter of personal tatse, & I guess I'm just following the time-honoured tradition of modifying tools to suit myself....

Cheers,
    IW