Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Bodgy View Post
    1.3 glasses wine????

How big are your glasses? I presume we're talking about schooners.

Yeh sorry Bodgy should have been 3 glasses.

I meant this thread as a bit of light hearted humor... I recon some people should sit down, pour themselves a drink and LIGHTEN UP!!!

In fact the drinks are on me!

Seriously though, I don't think the amount you drink has much to do with whether you are an alcoholic or not. Some people have one drink and are hooked for life, others try it and hate it and never drink again (poor bastards).

I would go as far as to say that MOST people who drink are not in danger of becoming alcoholics. I know a few people who I would consider to have a drinking problem. The rest are just people like me who like a drink but could go for weeks without one and not think twice about it. I believe some people just have a genetic trait or whatever that makes them alcoholics.

As for craving a drink, well, there are plenty of times when I think "God, I could use a beer". That doesn't make me an alcoholic, regardless of how long it has been since I had a drink. The classic signs of an addiction are withdrawal symptoms and thankfully I never suffer from those. Saying that if you give up drinking for 6 months and ever crave a drink then you have a problem is rubbish. If you crave a drink after a day or two, then yes, you may have a problem. Or maybe you just had a hard day. I suppose it depends on your definition of craving. If your hands are trembling and you can't function without a drink, then call AA.

As for the health problems, well yes if you down 4 beers every night whether you need them or not, you are probably not doing yourself a lot of good. I think that the actual number is arbitrary. They have to pick a number, like they had to pick a cut off for blood alcohol for driving. They usually go for a low number to be safe. There are plenty of people who have more than 2 drinks a day and still live into their 90's but plenty of others who drink less and die young, so work that one out.

Everything in moderation
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

Quote Originally Posted by NewLou View Post

2 standard drinks per night is considered safe anything above this is doing you damage

Regards lou
    Lou,

According to this article: http://health.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=21149 , a maximum of four standard drinks (10 mL of alcohol) a day, is low-risk, NOT two.

I think it is counter-productive to try and scare people off grog by quoting a very low figure as a maximum, since there are many people, and I am one, who drink at the rate of three or four standard drinks a day without any noticeable ill-effect.

Rocker

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker View Post
    Lou,

I think it is counter-productive to try and scare people off grog

Rocker
    I'm not saying that. These are yours words not mine please don't misquote or try to associate your interpretations with my statement.

And please please use appropriate references so that you do not spread misinformation. I suggest you get your references from the World Health organisation or the NSW Health Websites.

To state low risk drinking is not doing you any damage is misinformation. REgardless I should know better and won't continue to address or debate this manner any further on a Woodwork forum.

REgards Lou
    Just Do The Best You Can With What You HAve At The Time

2 standard drinks per night is considered safe anything above this is doing you damage

Regards lou
    Lou,

You may not want to discuss this further, but I wish to address the points you raised. I did not misquote you; You said in the above quote that more than two drinks a day is doing you harm. That does not accord with the alcohol fact sheet on the website of the NSW Health department, which you recommended as a source; that fact-sheet supports what I said, namely, that up to 4 standard drinks a day is low-risk for males even in the long term. I may have misinterpreted your intention in suggesting that you were trying to scare people off grog. However, I think it is best that people know that they are still in the low-risk category with up to 4 drinks a day. I suppose it is possible that some people may be slightly harmed with between 2 and 4 drinks a day, but presumably the risk is low, if the NSW Health Dept says so in their fact sheet; whereas you contend, in the above quote, without any caveats, that anything above two drinks is harmful.

Rocker

And please please use appropriate references so that you do not spread misinformation
    That is the funniest thing I have heard all day...
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

I work daily with drug addicts n alcoholics and get a constant reminder of how dangerous any drug is.
    I think its probably about time you got out of the building industry.

First there are bloody lies then there are statistics....................hic!
    If you can do it - Do it! If you can't do it - Try it!
    Do both well!

For anyone wanting health advise I recommend you see your GP and discuss any health issues or concerns you may have with them.

This includes the SAFE consumption of alcohol

REgards Lou
    Just Do The Best You Can With What You HAve At The Time

the SAFE consumption of alcohol
    I always lock the door when I'm drinking. You never know who might walk in and try and pinch some.

I always start by lying on the floor that way I can't fall over.

:d

Does our laquacious friend need a drink to loosen his tongue?

I start by trying to remember where I hid the bottle of vodka or tequila, do I have a problem?

HH.
    Always look on the bright side...

Quote Originally Posted by HappyHammer View Post
    I start by trying to remember where I hid the bottle of vodka or tequila, do I have a problem?

HH.
    Only if you dont find them:eek: