Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shaper

That vise looks exactly like mine. The guy I bought it from showed me the machine it came off, and it was a big boxy looking Elliot just like that. But I thought he said a bigger number, like 24".

Are you hankering for a bigger stroke Bob?

Default More Stroke?

Nah Bryan! After 58 years I've gotten real comfortable with the stroke I've got.

Dave J Guest

Thats a little brother of my Alba as Elliot bought out Alba, it looks very sheet metalish.
    Did anybody notice the 45 degree jaw in the vise? must have been set up for a certain job. Also the saddle feed forward and reverse lever which looks like a enclosed gear box for it.
    Not sure why the window is their as they usually have a door to get into everything. Maybe it is designed for schools so they can look but not touch.

Bryan,
    If you compare the ram length to the ram length on mine in the picture below you can see it is a bit shorter. I think it is because it is long and slender and the rear tray makes it look longer.
    How are you going with yours, I hope to get this one up and running as soon as I am able again.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave J View Post
    How are you going with yours, I hope to get this one up and running as soon as I am able again.
    Dave
    Slowly. I felt I turned a corner last week when I started on reassembly. Still a lot to do. Lost some momentum now. Pesky family seem to feel entitled to some of my time. Nah it's good to have a break and go back to it fresh.

You going to strip yours for paint? If I had my time again I would have just got it running first and thought about paint later.

Default If I had my time again I would have just got it running first and thought about paint

Then see how hard it is to get around to painting it.

You'll want to use it. I've got two machines that need painting and I've been using them for about 6 years. I keep putting the painting off, an easy thing to do.

Dave J Guest

We all get like that with projects, sometimes a break is the best thing.

I brought mine home in parts and then I stripped what ever ways down that weren't apart and cleaned them all. I intend to just run it as is for now then paint it latter. I have a friend who is a sandblaster that has done a few things for me so I think I will go that way when I do it. There is a ton of filthy grease inside that has slung off the bull gear.

Dave

Dave J Guest

I think matthew_g is holding out on us with his new free Douglas shaper. That is, if it is the same Matthew g from here.
    Good Things Happen To Those Who Wait - Shop Floor Talk

Dave

Default Matthew's Douglas

The big red "handwheel" is interesting. Bit safer than inching the ram forward with the belt but it's sort of on the wrong side.

Why do you reckon Douglas replaced the substantial cast iron table support, as per Matthew's photos, for the piddly one legger on later machines?

Bob.

My self I would rather the Single upright support,adjustment is much more simple.
    The large Flywheel on the side of the machine is just that,it supplies the enercia.

Dave J Guest

I have the single one as well but there is provision for the other double style.
    I think the reasoning behind dropping the double support might have been for ease of use and setup. The single one doesn't need side to side adjustment when it is raised or lowered like the double one would.
    My Alba is dual one like the Douglas, but it has a gib under the table that holds onto the support that keeps it level and strait when raising and lowering, then you just tighten up the bolts when at the right height. A picture probably explains it better.

Dave

"The large Flywheel on the side of the machine is just that,it supplies the enercia."

Pipeclay,

I have a large drive pulley/ flywheel on my Douglas, inside the chook cage. Maybe you blokes have Douglas's with big red flywheels outboard of the pulley. I've obviously dipped out on that one along with the clutch. Below are photos of my setup.

Thinking about the cast table support, I imagine it would be a pain to set up.

Bob

Dave J Guest

I have never seen something like that before. I would say the old fella fitted it himself for some reason. A picture of my clutch model is below, I am not sure why they never made them all clutch models.
    Also I wonder where the guards went off Matthew's machine?

Happy Australia Day to all

Dave

Default Clutch

Dave,

When I bought mine from Fiora Machinery over here, there were 3 Douglas's on offer. The other two had the mandatory repaint in garish colours that seems to appeal to a number of people. Mine was finished in the original blue/gray and was in great condition.

One of the other two had a clutch but I decided against it based on the condition of the machine, which was not a patch on mine, and the fact that it would need repainting.

A clutch would be nice but then I don't have clutches on my lathes and I've gotten by (although we've been discussing clutches for the Hercus in another thread)

An aside.. I was just looking at your album photos and your crane. I love it

Bob.

Dave J Guest

I would have done the same thing when buying your shaper. You can always add accessories but you can't add new ways etc. I am still wary of putting my hands anywhere where they could get caught in case the clutch engaged and turn it off for any major adjustments just to be safe.

As for the crane thanks for that, there is a full right up in the link below, it is only to use to service the mill and the lathe etc because I have a neck injury which stops me lifting anything heavy. It was all made out of scrap and what I could pick up or had laying around.
    https://www.woodworkforums.com/f65/ho...photos-113771/

Dave

Default Clutches and Cranes

Dave,

Having a clutch accidentally engage on a lathe is one thing, on a shaper the outcome could be devastating. That ram isn't going to stop for anyone!

As for the crane, I can understand exactly why you need it. I'm a few years older than you and I often think about the damage that could occur due to dropping a milling head on the mill table as I become old and frail. I need a crane too.

I should dust off my little stick welder and do a bit of practice. It's funny to think that 20 years ago I taught kids how the weld out at Curtin Uni. Now, I reckon my wife would do a better job.

Bob.