Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415161718 LastLast

Yes that crossed my mind. It's hard to avoid when people say things like "what have we done for them" or "what are you going to do for us".

Just listening to the ABC wrap up interviewing some bloke from Reconciliation Australia, who saw such importance in the apology that he watched it from Spain. He says that "we live to fight another day" on the subject of compensation. He understands that governments often can be made to change their view on things and he will be devoting his energies now to obtaining compensation for the people who our kind PM has just apologised to.
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

Quote Originally Posted by wayfarer View Post
    To me, saying "sorry" is not about liability, it's about empathy for the worst of our relationship with each other. It's not about guilt, it's about sympathy. It's about healing and moving forward. Not a solution in itself, but a step forward.
    Well said, probably sums it up for me.

The big concern now is how child welfare agencies can intercede to save Aboriginal children from an unacceptable domestic situation, the same as can (and should) happen if it was a white family, without the accusation of racism, 'stolen generation' or genocide being brought against them. That can only work if Indigenous people accept one law for all Australians, not select which ones suit them.

Regards,
    Andy Mac
    Change is inevitable, growth is optional.

These problems follow from problems like lack of education, opportunity. When people have nothing to do they lose the plot and end up drinking or taking other drugs or even bloomin inhalants. (DAMHIK)
    Why isn't someone setting up kangaroo meatworks and tanneries in the bush. And crocodile tanneries too. That is an earner.
    Mick

avantguardian

To me, saying "sorry" is not about liability
    Mick Dodson is his name. Speaking from Spain:

"Reparation is not complete until that [compensation] has taken place and so long as I have strength in my body, I'll be fighting hard for it."
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

Is Spain far enough away for Mick Dodson? We should ring NASA and see if theres any seats available.

Quote Originally Posted by Toyboy View Post
    I read somewhere recently that some bloke had a vision.
    "I wish there was a world without conflict, a world at peace
    Look what happened to him.....
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

My Other Toys

Default Floodgates open

Now that the sorry bit is out of the way I believe that the working population from kindergarten up will experience paying for something they had no say or part in. There has been a lot of chatter on this forum during the last few days with all sorts of views put forth, quite a lot of them are very good common sense, as well as the element of emotional crap.

There has been name calling, and there has been a display of bigotry and it has been an interesting exercise in what we as a nation believe. I doubt that the words spoken in the parliament today are much more than lipservice. For people to change their ways and to improve their lot in life it must come from within the individual, but there is nothing wrong with extending a helping hand as may now be the case.

I wish the aboriginal people well but living in the past is not the way forward. Sadly the events of today will not do a single thing for those who are being abused, and stuck in a rut because of their situation. A lot of the visitors to Canberra were there to protest the intervention in Northern Territory.

The only thing for certain will be the current parliament will get into the history books for future generations to read and ponder. I guess in twenty or fifty years from now we will still be pandering to the gimme gimme gimme minorities which are springing up all over the country.

Regards Mike

Quote Originally Posted by rod@plasterbrok View Post
    John, I understand many atrocities occured in the early settelment of Australia in particular, Tasmania.

I know this because it did not cost my parents a cent to put me through school and in primary school I received $7 per fornight (pocket money) that doubled to $14 while at high school. I was told this was compensation for the atrocities inflicted on my ancestors.

This does not change for a second what I posted above about Rudds sorry statement that will achieve nothing but division and suffering children well into the future. It literally makes me want to puke at the thought.
    I fully agree that this does not make any difference to the suffering of children, and I have probably missunderstood your intent. I am hopeful Rudds speach will be a clearing of the air and not create the division you are worried about. Others baying about compensation does not sit well with me either because I can't see how putting a fist full of dollars in someones pocket will make any difference either. The response has to be community focused.

Your comment about the amount you received at school is interesting because there is a misconception that having some aboriginality gives you easy access to all sorts of welfare payments which is not true. The education supplement you received was no fortune. There are also many regardless of background who are very adept at screwing the system, but they seem to go unnoticed

All humans living today can trace their DNA back to a handful of common individuals http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitochondrial_Eve

Tasmanian aborigines probably differ to Torres Straight islanders only slightly less than they differ to Europeans.

The way I learnt it the Tasmanian aborigines moved into Gondwanaland first and were gradually pushed further south as stronger tribes followed them in. Eventually a European tribe moved in that overpowered even the most powerful aboriginal tribes.

What we have now is a society that is trying to work out how to achieve reasonable equality for all citizens of the country. I'm proud to be part of that rather than being part of a group trying to kill off the neighbouring tribe.

Are Tasmanian aborigines entitled to different treatment to Torres Strait Islanders because their ancestors were here earlier?

The move from the attitudes of 19C genocide to mid 20C integration to 21C reconciliation seems to be moving in the right direction to me. Maybe it is glacially slow but it is promising.

As a person of mostly European heritage I have no thought that returning to some sort of idealized Nordic/Celtic society is going to achieve anything or that returning to the social mores of Victorian England or 50's Australia or anywhere else is a good platform for the future.

We all live in this country on this planet in the present and we will live in the future, the past is gone. An apology is for the past but we HAVE to concentrate on the way forward, there is no way back.

When I hopped in the car this morning after listening to KR and the start of BN's speech, I had a warm fuzzy feeling. I popped on the ABC radio to hear the rest of BN's speech and there's a racket in the background, After the speech, the commentator explained what had taken place in the (public gallery?) I am disgusted and rather more deflated. On this day of apology, amidst bipartisan support from the parliment, when both sides of parliment are clearly reaching out to heal wounds, I find it repugnant that some should behave in such a small-minded manner. It clearly says to me, that even with this apology, some elements in the indiginous community will just never be happy. I want to ask them, just what the hell are we supposed to do then so you'll be bloody happy?

sucks.

Michael

The education supplement you received was no fortune.
    That depends on how old he is. Our whole family lived on about $100pw back when I was at school. $14 a week would have been a king's ransom to me at age 11

Others baying about compensation does not sit well with me either because I can't see how putting a fist full of dollars in someones pocket will make any difference either. The response has to be community focused.
    A few people have made assumptions about what Aboriginal people want. Based on all of the reactions to Rudd's speech that I have witnessed so far, what they want is compensation. They view this apology as the first step in that process: not as an end in itself.

Dazzler, the prime minister quoted what you were looking for in his speech at about 9.10 this morning.

I am hopeful that this apology will help us all move on to a better understanding and some positive effects.
    I think its appropriate that we start with the children. If they are given a decent opportunity at school from an early age this should have a beneficial flow on to the entire community.
    I also think Rudd is spot on in inviting the opposition to be a productive part of this process.
    as he said, the issue is too big to play political football with, a very generous and sincere offer i thought.

Maybe this time we'll all get it right.

Astrid

Quote Originally Posted by astrid View Post
    as he said, the issue is too big to play political football with, a very generous and sincere offer i thought.
    As indeed was the acceptance of it by the opposition.

Pity the indigenies are only about playing political football.

As Mic-d says, their behaviour was a disgrace, and I didn't even see it.

The time to show disapproval was at an election, and I thought that happened.

Cheers,

P

I think its appropriate that we start with the children.
    Yes I thought that was interesting. Kind of flies in the face of some suggestions that they should be allowed to maintain their own culture. So instead of taking them away from their families to assimilate them, we'll force them all to go to pre school and get at them that way. So do they want to join the white man's world, or don't they? I'm confused.

Quote Originally Posted by silentC View Post
    So do they want to join the white man's world, or don't they? I'm confused.
    Was it just a year ago that the minister copped a caning for suggesting that all should learn to speak English?

P