Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415161722 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by journeyman Mick
    Col,
    I reckon each shed dweller needs to make his own cover, design and materials used therin dependant on their shed practices. So, a few possibilities:
    timber beautifully finished (machine) Major Panic;
    timber beautifully finished (darkside) Derek Cohen;
    bushmilled timber Exador
    timber (silky oak) but unfinished (hinges missing etc) Me
    Metal covers, cobbled together artfully from assorted car parts, Andy Mac
    Leather bound legal volume type Boban
    And don't forget: blobs of sawdust & shavings, held together with glue, lacquer & the occasional nail/screw/lost tool (me )
    I may be weird, but I'm saving up to become eccentric.

- Andy Mc

Looks like the sort of thing a remote rural fire brigade would store its 'appliance' in.

Quote Originally Posted by Driver
    Any ideas? Better still, any good illustrations?
    See Attached as an idea/suggestion.

cheers
    Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by rufflyrustic
    See Attached as an idea/suggestion.

cheers
    Wendy
    I didn't know you'd been to Wood Borer's shed Wendy.

..I've been looking (unsuccessfully) for a good illustration of a shed. What I have in mind is a cartoon rendition ... any good illustrations?
    I reckon one of Saltbush Bill's sheds by Eric Jolliffe should do the trick.
    I can't find one on the internet in a hurry.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

Quote Originally Posted by journeyman Mick
    Col,
    I reckon each shed dweller needs to make his own cover, design and materials used therin dependant on their shed practices. So, a few possibilities:
    timber beautifully finished (machine) Major Panic;
    timber beautifully finished (darkside) Derek Cohen;
    bushmilled timber Exador
    timber (silky oak) but unfinished (hinges missing etc) Me
    Metal covers, cobbled together artfully from assorted car parts, Andy Mac
    Leather bound legal volume type Boban

etc etc etc

Mick
    Mick - this sounds like a very good plan. The Code, after all, makes it quite clear that a bloke is in absolute control of all matters pertaining to his shed so it's entirely appropriate that the cover of a given bloke's copy of the Code should fit his particular style.

For those who want a printed version, I'll have a go at putting one together if I can find a decent illustration.

Waldo - thanks for the pics. All good - except for the distressed dunny - I have to offer you some advice and guidance here. It would be a potentially serious mistake to confuse your shed with your dunny. A dunny only fulfills one of the Code's requirements: that it contains but a single seat. In other respects ......:eek:

Wendy - that's a great photo and is a definite contender.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rogers
    I reckon one of Saltbush Bill's sheds by Eric Jolliffe should do the trick.
    Cliff - spot on. That's what I had in mind. I'll have a bit of a Google. I'd also like to include the UBeaut logo and I've asked Neil for permission but he hasn't got back to me yet. I know he's been a bit busy lately so I'll give him a rev.

Col
    Driver of the Forums
    Lord of the Manor of Upper Legover

Quote Originally Posted by craigb
    I didn't know you'd been to Wood Borer's shed Wendy.
    I wish I've heard you could sink in there and not be found for years

It's my Uncle's Shed. Like Father, Uncle, Grandad, Great-Grandad, etc etc etc etc like .... :confused: me

OK girls,

I've been using the A4 format for most of the updates but, as those of you who have been following this thread will know, I have saved a version in A5 size.

A5 is actually more usable as a printed version. I find A4 a bit unwieldy, especially in the shed.

Keeping both sizes updated is a bit of a PITA but I'm happy to do that if both formats are wanted. Otherwise, I'll revert to A5 only.

Tell me what you think.

Col the Formatter
    Like the A5 format have printed out a copy in that size , works well the size is easy to handle and the font is readable.

I thought about the cover and I rekon it needs to look official , I mean its "the standard" isn't it you don't want a picture of someone elses shed do you , and if you leave it up to the indivudal well some may not have the time to come up with a quality cover. You can't have a picture of a paticular wood working implement either as some are darksiders and some just burn electrons, so something eye grabing and official with a dire warning that it must be read & adhered to by all who enter, and in recognition of all the time and effort "compiled by Driver" or Col as you preffer and a thumbprint of your avatar or of you looking all stern and blokey.

Rgds
    Russell
    Ashore

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

It’s a wet and miserable morning outdoors and I haven’t got much of a workload today so I’ve been pondering Code-related matters. Here are some thoughts.

On re-reading my post #152 above, I feel I may have given the impression that I was dismissive of the detailed input from havenoideaatall. If so, I apologise. That was not my intention. Brother have raises an interesting point about the potential for a bloke’s shed to be co-opted as a storage area for items of a non-blokely disposition and character. Putting it bluntly, a bloke can’t allow his shed to be filled up with old crap on the whim of non-bloke members of the household. If he chooses to fill it up with old crap :eek: er, that is, potentially useful material of his own, that’s different

However, where Brother have and I differ is in the area of detail. I believe the Code should be a guide, not an instruction manual. It is designed to provide advice and general direction but not to give instructions to fit every situation a bloke may meet.

In that respect, the description ‘Code of Practice’ was carefully selected.

In the area of prescribed behaviour for the community at large there are three levels of guidance

Legislation – enshrined in common law and statute and establishing both the boundaries of acceptable behaviour and appropriate punishment for breaches. (Not to be confused with The Laws of Shed Physics – see below).

Regulations – detailing specific rules that are to be followed.

Codes of Practice – setting guidelines and offering advice.

So, when it comes to a bloke and his shed, well, he is in charge and therefore can be considered to have the authority to establish both common law and statute. For regulations – again - a given bloke sets the rules for his own shed.

The Code of Practice is not designed to be prescriptive about shed activities but instead to provide general guidance for all blokes engaged in shed activities – in both their own and other blokes’ sheds. Where the Code occasionally veers into the prescriptive, this tends to be on matters that are well understood by blokes and simply require authoritative confirmation from the Code: in the area of blokely drinks, for instance.

Now, as to the Laws of Shed Physics. Think of the concept of Bistromaths, described by Slartiblartfast in Douglas Adams’ Hitch Hiker series. The Laws of Shed Physics are not laws established by precedent or statute. They are nature’s laws. They are immutable and inviolable. You can’t break the Laws of Shed Physics any more than you can break any other law of nature. To attempt, for example, to place a limit on the number of clamps you might need is as futile as trying to breathe by inhaling water while submerged. Doesn’t work, can’t be done. Dire consequences will follow.

(Incidentally, it’s fairly obvious that the only reason Slartiblartfast isn’t named Slartiblartfart is because Hitch Hiker was originally a radio series broadcast by the BBC, who clearly would have vetoed anything overtly vulgar).

Col the Ponderer
    Driver of the Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Ashore
    Like the A5 format have printed out a copy in that size , works well the size is easy to handle and the font is readable.

I thought about the cover and I rekon it needs to look official , I mean its "the standard" isn't it you don't want a picture of someone elses shed do you , and if you leave it up to the indivudal well some may not have the time to come up with a quality cover. You can't have a picture of a paticular wood working implement either as some are darksiders and some just burn electrons,
    Good points Russell. For those who don't have the time etc, as I said in an earlier post, I'll try to produce something useful.

so something eye grabing and official with a dire warning that it must be read & adhered to by all who enter, and in recognition of all the time and effort "compiled by Driver" or Col as you preffer and a thumbprint of your avatar or of you looking all stern and blokey.

Rgds
    Russell
    Not so sure about this bit. It's not my Code, it's our Code so I certainly won't be using my avatar or name on the cover. I appreciate the sentiment but that would be wrong. I would like to have a prominent reference to the UBeaut Bulletin Board and I'll be looking for Neil's permission to use the BB's UBeaut logo.

Blokes might like to put a simple notice on their shed doors, something like

Visitors are advised that
    this is a shed and all persons entering
    are subject to the Code of Practice.

Col
    Driver of the Forums

I know its not your code but you were the Drivering force behind it and have done a mighty job in compiling and editing it , but the decision is yours .
    Rgds and thanks for the effort
    Ashore

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

I know its not your code but you were the Drivering force behind it and have done a mighty job in compiling and editing it , but the decision is yours .
    Rgds and thanks for the effort
    Hear Hear! A toast to Driver - with, of course, nothing containing bubbles (unless its beer) or an excess of fruit

Tutti- fruitty baby.

All hail Driver!
    Cheers
    Jim

"I see dumb peope!"

Col,

I'm a tad concerned about your blokeliness. First, "toodlepip", now this;
    recently a disturbing trend has been reported by blokes whose life partners have suggested that devices be installed in sheds that will allow said life partners
    Life Partners? What happened to the "missus" or the "sheila" or even just plain SWMBO. You'll be calling your shed a "studio" soon and serving latte's in it.

Dan
    Is there anything easier done than said?
    - Stacky. The bottom pub, Cobram.

Hi Driver,
    Here's something you may be interested in as a cover picture. Its a scan of a photocopy of a drawing I did many years ago, so the quality is pretty poor. The original I gave away, and this B&W is the only copy I have. Original had some colour over the inkwork, and was A3; this is an A4 scan of half the drawing, but may suit your needs.

Cheers, and thanks for all your work on the Code!
    Andy Mac
    Change is inevitable, growth is optional.