Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011

Mine is a combination of the fact I have a positive outlook on life and pays some homage to the stereotype of the the cheeky cockney. The second half relates to my love of football and one team in particular West Ham United. Nothing to do with the hand tool I'm afraid.

HH.
    Always look on the bright side...

Quote Originally Posted by Felder View Post
    I saw mine on the side of a woodworking machine.
    Pfft. Moron.

Mine comes from an exchange between Brad Goodman and Bart Simpson in "Bart's Inner Child".

When I worked as a auto-elec for a ford dealer the service manager called me speedy behind my back in a derogatory way, I didn't find out until I left to become a paramedic. I told my partner one day, she laughed and laughed saying the name suited me so I adopted it as a handle.
    If it goes against the grain, it's being rubbed the wrong way!

Nicknames are funny things, they can take on a life of their own. I've never really had one that stuck. I've been called all sorts of things but the most common would be Dazza or Dazzler - but not many people call me that either.

Yet I can think of several examples of people I went school with whose childhood nicknames went on to become the only names they are known by today. One of them is Speed by the way. Even his wife calls him that. He picked it up in high school (similar reason to you I recall).

My Dad has a nickname that was given to him by his mum when he was a toddler - he hates his real name and no-one ever calls him by it twice. Very few people actually know what his name is. He calls himself Ted and always has done, so people assume his real name is Edward, but it's not. It's XXXXXX.
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

Quote Originally Posted by silentC View Post
    It's XXXXXX.

I've been using your old man's real name as my password to log on at work! What a coincidence.

You know, that happens all the time!
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

Otautahi , Te Wa'hi Pounamu ( The Mainland) , NZ

Quote Originally Posted by Gra View Post
    Mine, started out a graham paige, but seems to have got shortened by the board. I is a user id I use across the internet, it comes from my favorite toy (See my sig)
    My brother drives a Graham Paige , a '28 , or a '29 , I think .
    Green and black , with a dickyseat

Quote Originally Posted by Manuka Jock View Post
    Gra has a '28 4door, I went for a ride in it a couple of weeks ago.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

Quote Originally Posted by Manuka Jock View Post
    get him to drop me some pictures. always interesting in new cars. Havent got round to building a roadster yet (Its on the list, but well done the list). Have a look at the link to my toys in my sig
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

My Other Toys

Otautahi , Te Wa'hi Pounamu ( The Mainland) , NZ

Years ago , at an International Ta Moko Symposium ,
    I had my clan crest tattooed on my chest. The Maori organiser , (who it turns out , is also of my clan and is now a good mate ) started calling me 'Jock' , 'cos he didn't know my real name at the time , ( not so sure that he does yet ) .
    'Manuka' is a great , small hardwood we have here

Quote Originally Posted by Gra View Post
    get him to drop me some pictures. always interesting in new cars. Havent got round to building a roadster yet (Its on the list, but well done the list). Have a look at the link to my toys in my sig
    Gra , I have emailed him , when he replies to me , I will pass it on .

cheers ,
    Jock

No prizes for guessing what my name means because it doesn't mean anything other than it's my real name.

No that's not really me in my Avatar either. People usually ask me if I can sing. I usually answer:

No I can't sing, I'm the wrong colour, I've got no money and he's gone and I'm still here.

Keep it close to the topic please people.

Default Sturdee's inspiration.

When I had to decide on a username I thought long and hard for a worthy Australian to emulate.

I looked for someone uninterested in sport, but who liked pottering about in his garden and making things in his well-equipped workshop and yet was a great influence in our nation. Someone I would be proud to honour by using his name as my usename.

I finally selected Sir V.A.H. Sturdee who was a succesful soldier rising through the ranks and retired as Chief of General Staff, first military member of the Military Board and chief of the Australian Section of the Imperial General Staff.

His insistance during WW2 in stopping the shipping of the 7th division to the Far East and the bringing back of the AIF from the Middle East is what helped save us from the imminent Japanese invasion. Without these decisions we would be speaking japanese instead of american.

He was one of our greatests Australians and when retired he burnt his private papers, commenting, 'I have done the job. It is over'.

BTW it's also the street sign that I look at out of my windows.

Peter.

Finally I get a post axed by ...

HH.
    Always look on the bright side...

Quote Originally Posted by Zed View Post
    My real moniker is a strange one that only I and and the members of my coven have ever been able to pronounce. For some strange reason the presence of caucasian, asian, african, or any other non coven-blood automatically makes the tongue swell when prononcing my name. I grew up with all sorts of nicknames and I dont like them now either - at least the ones I get. Once I got big enough i started to fight back at a few of the more offensive ones.... having to pick a userid for this board - i wasnt gunna use my real name as it stands out like a dogs gonad.... Thus Zed, at least the Z is spelt right..

And yes, all of you that I have met - every one of u, except Boban, have, and contine to mispronounce it, it is my burden and I carry it..
    Zed,
    That's a bit of a challenge. if I ever catch up with you you'll have to give me a go at pronouncing it, Lots of people from different countries have taught me snippets of their languages over the years. They all reckoned I must have an ear for languages and a flexible palate because I've not only gotten the pronounciation right, I've also gotten their particular regional accent.

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938