Thanks Thanks:  63
Likes Likes:  616
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  4
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  17
Page 105 of 166 FirstFirst ... 55595100101102103104105106107108109110115155 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,575 of 2479

Quote Originally Posted by pmcgee View Post
    .....BTW ... the handle wood is niiiiiice. I don't get me wrong, I love applewood ... but this is different and also nice.
    I don't know if it could be cherry ... or a stained fruitwood. ???
    I must be feeling argumentative today. Doesn't look like Cherry at all in these pics. My working hypothesis would be Apple with a shellac-based coating (or Pear, they are pretty much the same but Pear is a lot paler in its natural state). There aren't many domestic woods in the US with such a fine grain.. Of course they could have used an imported wood for their top-of-the-line saws, in which case, I wouldn't have a clue.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'fruitwood', Paul. To me it can be any of: Cherry, Plum, Apple or Pear, but from my reading, it seems to be applied most often to Apple & Pear because they can be hard to separate. They are different when fresh, but when old & stained, whether deliberately or by use it can be pretty difficult!

Cheers,
    IW

Not classifying this strictly as 'droppings'...but he's either overly optimistic or I'm missing something....

Vintage Stanley 5 5 Wood Plane IN Original BOX Mint | eBay

Quote Originally Posted by desert oak View Post
    Not classifying this strictly as 'droppings'...but he's either overly optimistic or I'm missing something....

He can ask what he wants. Whether he gets it is another matter. I often save such optimistic listings in my watch list just out of curiosity to see if they sell and whether there was something I missed.

Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

"Power tends to corrupt. Absolute power corrupts, absolutely!"

Paul Mcg

Thanks for your detective work on the Simonds. I have revised my thoughts on the retoothing on this basis: It is that I am unfamiliar with full size saws. The majority of saws are really what became "lightweight" or "ship point" versions. My conjecture is that this saw at 6" deep at the heel may have lost nearly an inch, but without an original specification I can only guess.

I acknowledge your point about the handle being set further in on the No 61. You have the physical saw to verify this. I returned to the Simonds site and the positioning of the handle looks identical on the No 61 and the No 5 BUT the actual example posted from the author's own collection definitely shows the No 5 handle sited further back just as you have said. His example looks as thought it might be a panel saw with fewer saw nuts, but inconjunction with your information I am quietly confident that I have indeed obtained a No 61. The teeth seem to be rip profile with the slightest of fleam. Couldn't be better.

IanW

I have to say I couldn't tell a cherry from a pear (did I say that out loud?). It probably sounds worse spoken than written down. Whatever timber it is, I really like the smoother sculpted shapes of the older handles compared to the big blocky handles of the post WW2 era. I also prefer the smaller handhole as I point the index finger along the saw.

I will say thank you for the information and not post further on this thread for these saws as I am very much in danger of a little digression. I expect at some time to post some information on the saws I have recently acquired in the handsaw forum, but it may be a while as the projects are piling up.

Thanks again for the info. A No 61: Made my day!!

Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmiller View Post
    A No 61: Made my day!!
    Regards
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by desert oak View Post

and cost $12.95 originally
    regards
    Nick
    veni, vidi,
    tornavi
    Without wood it's just ...

I wonder if he meant to type $80 and hit an extra 0 by mistake.

I always get a little suspicious when a seller with 782 sales tells me that it's his grandfather's plane. Has he got that much stuff lying around in his house, or is he a trader?

Default sawset?

is this really a sawset
    regards
    Nick
    veni, vidi,
    tornavi
    Without wood it's just ...

Quote Originally Posted by Sawdust Maker View Post
    ..is this really a sawset?
    Can't think what else it could be. Saw-wrests were used for setting teeth in thick plate, such as on big pit saws & crosscut & circular saws...

Cheers,
    IW

I thunk it maybe a user made one. The ones that were production made had round holes at the end of the slots. The rounds were filled with lead (usually missing now) to protect the sharpened tips of the teeth.

Then again I could be wrong, It wouldn't be unusual…...

…..Live a Quiet Life & Work with your Hands

I always figured it was levered over, across the saw blade ... but somewhere in an old book it says setting two teeth at a time ... might be Moxon/Nicholson.

So it can be rotated in a flat plane ... and do relatively small teeth ...

Matt Cianci and Peter Follansbee ... Matt Cianci | Peter Follansbee, joiner's notes

and btw the sawvice here rotates to cam the bottom open and grip the top.

https://pfollansbee.wordpress.com/tag/saw-sharpening/

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyrsa View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mattocks View Post
    If you could get these chisels for not much more than the starting price it would be a serious bargain.
    I did the conversion to aussie dollars, 2200 = 228aussie
    And I have never seen a berg roll like that one
    The small one looks like a 1/8" and would easily sell for half the asking price let alone what you could get for the others.
    would love to know how much they go for.
    If I was in sth africa i'd buy them
    cheers
    Frank
    Well, I won the auction. Paid R2525 for them which xe.com tells me is about $253, so I'm pretty chuffed. The seller is a real gent, and I hope to visit his workshop if I'm ever down that way. I don't know when I'll be getting them, as the post office workers are on strike. A courier company is looking like a good idea at this stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin62 View Post
    Well, I won the auction. Paid R2525 for them which xe.com tells me is about $253, so I'm pretty chuffed. The seller is a real gent, and I hope to visit his workshop if I'm ever down that way. I don't know when I'll be getting them, as the post office workers are on strike. A courier company is looking like a good idea at this stage.

Well done Colin,
    Thats a serious bargain you got there.
    They are beautiful chisels, both appearance and quality wise.
    I just had another look at the auction listing just to see that tool roll again, very nice.
    I'm sure you'll enjoy using them immensely. It's always a pleasure to use such good quality tools.
    Thanks for posting to let us know the price
    Cheers
    Frank

Bushmiller;