Hi Guys, I'm planning some renovations for my house which is a 2x storey house with an existing T&G floor upstairs and concrete floor downstairs. The walls downstairs are painted (not lined yet) masonry block, when I install the floor, the walls will also be lined with gyprock. The concrete floor currently has pavers laid over the top (don't ask..) which will be removed, and I wish to bring the floor level up approx 100mm. I have 2x options, put down 100mm of concrete and tile, or put down pine battons and lay 19mm T&G flooring. The T&G flooring obviously appeals to me for the wow factor and to match what's already installed upstairs. In doing my research one of the timber places I spoke to warned me about under floor ventilation, and that I was probably asking for trouble installing such a floor on concrete within masonry block walls. A bit of back ground on the current floors, during the wet season this year (we live in Townsville, Nth QLD, had a ripper wet season this year), we got quite a bit of damp seep in through the floor resulting a bit of mold in our lounge room (on ground level). The remedy I have for this is once I remove the pavers, I will get a commercial waterproofer (my brother ) to seal the floor on the inside, and the sides of the slap and foundations outside where possible, and then I will also put down a layer of visquine underneath the battons and seal it around the edges. Hopefully this should solve any moisture issues.

So I ask the flooring gurus, what sort of under flooring ventilation should I have if any? What potential problems have I to look forward to? any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers Craig

Read the full thread at RenovateForum.com...