Default U Beaut wood dye high gloss finish

hey, i have some of the wood dyes here that i plan on using, i would like to get the shellac stuff to use as a topcoat but im not sure as im pretty sure i read that it only needs one coat. I want something that will be a little thicker, and cure really hard. what type of product should i go for?

It would be great if i could get a high gloss finish with it aswell.

what would people reccomend? Also it would be better if its just one product but if i need 3 or so thats cool.

one last thing, i saw a video about the analine (sp?) dye and what they did was first do a coat in black then sand it back to give a more pronounced grain, will this work with these dyes?

THanks.

By the way i will be finishing some drums so the detail is important.

Hi Andy

The UBeaut Water Dyes work brilliantly under UBeaut's Shellac. Yes, you can get a high gloss finish with this. You will need more than one coat of shellac on top of the dyes. That's because the shellac should be applied in thin coats, rather than one thick, sticky and gooey coat.

First up, however, get yourself some test pieces of timber and have fun playing around with the colours (don't forget to wear gloves) and then the Shellac and Traditional Wax.

Once your got your desired look, repeat that on your Drums.

Cheers
    Wendy

Another option for a hard finish is the " U Beaut" Hard Shellac which will give a high gloss and a hard finish.
    Jim Carroll
    One Good Turn Deserves Another. CWS, Vicmarc, Robert Sorby, Woodcut, Tormek, Woodfast
    Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. It's free and only takes 37 seconds!

thanks guys, i have some scrap wood that i will be testing on.

so if i were to apply either product would i do one coat then sand it level then another coat sand level etc untill i have the desired thickness?

the hard shellac looks great but has a pretty long cure time. I guess thats not such an issue.

also would i buff it after its cured or as its curing?

another question, I want to get a really deep colour (like not a tint or something but for instance change the wood to blue etc) but i want a fair bit of grain, i started ot play around with the dye this morning but what would be the best way to bring the grain out as much as possible? I did the whole wet down with hot water thing aswell. Its looking ok.

It is all going to depend on the grain in the peice on how much will show through.

You need only a very small amount of color and hopefully there is good figure in the wood.

If you use too much color it could disguise the grain features.
    Jim Carroll
    One Good Turn Deserves Another. CWS, Vicmarc, Robert Sorby, Woodcut, Tormek, Woodfast
    Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. It's free and only takes 37 seconds!

Default Timber finishes.

Hi there , by the sounds of things u want to use what they call a spirit stain, these dont hide the grain as much as a pigmented stain, The type of clear u would need to use would be a sparay on clear over the top either a pre cat or acid cure finish . I would aviod useing a shellac base fisnish as these are quite soft compared to modern day finishes, Any further help required private message me and il try to help u out ,

just one last question. IF i were to use the shellac finish could i acheive a matte finish aswell? just without buffing it?