Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Old, New Woodworker from Gippsland

Hello from Gippsland Victoria (Aust)

Very new to this forum and to serious woodworking but inocently enthusiastic about aquiring better skills. We have bought an old house (1886) on the edge of town (Sale)
    The house is very original and its comming up a treat. We have just repaired, sanded (floors), painted etc etc but would like to put on an extention on the north side to catch the sun (warmth and light in winter) and have a big country style kitchen (with a slow combustion stove etc)
    This project is way beyond anything I have done before but i will give it a go in about 6 to 9 months
    Anyone out there wants to advise me on my next equipment aquisitions??
    I am looking for a table saw and possibly a jointer /planer or thicknesser
    Have a budget of about $500 for the table saw.
    Have just aquired a 1hp hafco Dust Ext (E Bay)and have all the normal power tools, compound mitre saw press drill, routers (& Table ) etc
    I have set up my workshop in a shipping container and cant fit much more in. Have completely blown the budget as well.
    I am keen to relate to people willing to share knowledge & connections particularly equipment choices
    Cheers
    Mike

Coff

welcome we love photo's here and by the sounds of it you might have a few of your work/shed/tools.

Containers full need more shed space time for another container
    Last edited by RETIRED; 2nd July 2009 at 07:42 PM. Reason: tut tut Ray

Thumbs up

G'day Coff and welcome to cyber heaven!!

You've been a busy boy by the looks of things.

You must remember one of the immutable rules for wood workers. It is not Possible to blow the budget because it is open ended.

Welcome to the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by wheelinround View Post
    Coff

welcome we love photo's here and by the sounds of it you might have a few of your work/shed/tools.

Thankyou Cristos
    for you reply and encouragement I will get some pics for you. Do you know if there is a list of tablesaws (on th forum) summerising things lile quality, price, features etc? I am daunted by the choices (particularly new asian imports) and huge varation in quality. Unfortunately my budget is about 500 for this item.

Cheers Mike

Quote Originally Posted by artme View Post
    G'day Coff and welcome to cyber heaven!!

You've been a busy boy by the looks of things.

You must remember one of the immutable rules for wood workers. It is not Possible to blow the budget because it is open ended.
    Thanks ARTME
    I will keep that bubget wisdom in mind
    Cheers
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by wheelinround View Post
    Coff

Hello Wheelinround

I visited your blog and had a good laugh at the snake stories. I can relate to them having lived "in the hills" in my twenties. Have fallen for the one where you pick it up and find it was much longer and livelier that you thought. Or where you have one in the house and spend an hour chaseing it from under furniture and in cupboards untill it is really agro
    Where is Hinchinbrook??

Chees

Mike

Hi Mike
    There are 2 Hinchinbrooks one in QLD (I wish) I'm in NSW subrub of Western Sydney

Yes snakes featured in my life a fair bit one story I don't think I put there is about my uncle who has his ove of snakes my cousin also took them on in his teens. he was sent off to boarding school while the rest of the family mum, dad and 4 sisters tender after them.
    He had a Python which broke loose one day while everyone was out, they searched hi and low
    I came to stay overnight and as aunt was turning out the light thought she had better warn me.....the tank it should have been in was in the same room

Later that evening a shrilled scream woke the whole house hold and aunts mother who lived next door, aunt ha slid into bed where she had earlier placed a hot water bottle to warm the bed. snuggled down stretched out and ft of python moved.

Welcome aboard Mike, You sound just the right sort of guy we need around here.
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John