Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Secretaire

Default Secretaire

Here is a secretaire I built about 15 years ago. I got the drawings/plans from the publication Fine Woodworking - "Making Period Furniture" - Taunton Press.
    Now this was a pleasure to build. It took about 12 months to build on weekends only.
    I managed to get most of the big drawer hardware from Leon Saudabin ex The Woodworks. He just happened to have the quadrant stays and flap hinges which I modified to my application. At the time, I found these pieces hard to find elsewhere.
    Its pretty much built to plan except the cabinet doesn't have any secret compartments...yet!! The only thing I might change is the paneling to the rear of the bookcase. It's stained Tassie Oak lining boards which I don't particularly like the look of. But hey, Iv'e been looking at it all these years and STILL haven't done anything aboiut it!! Timber used for the bulk of the piece is Central American Mahogany.

Billy

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/n...Secretaire.jpg

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/n...k/IMG_1702.jpg
    I'm not young enough to know it all.

A pleasure to see. Thanks Billy.
    Jim

Nicely done Billy. Making pieces like this is a good way to hone your cabinetmaking skills.
    I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you just read is not what I meant.

Regards, Woodwould.

That's really beautiful, that is.