Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default A light Stain or sealent for cheap pine???

Well I finally after trial and error started to use my new Leigh Super Jig and have popped out a few demo pine boxes, just test pieces to practice on and they have turned out pretty nicely. The wood is just cheap pine from Bunnings but I was wondering what I should use to in terms of a oil/varnish to seal cheap pine? (sorry newbie question!)
    <O
    I picked up some Danish oil from Carba-Tec but I am not intending to use it on cheap pine boxes…..maybe a light stain?
    <O
    Some advice would be good.
    <O
    Cheers
    <O

G'day Milo,
    First bit of advice......are you typing your posts into some microsoft stuff and then pasting??? it keeps giving us silly smilies at each carraige return.
    Second bit:
    Welcome aboard......and have you checked out shellac, or home made Oil finishes?? Both are a good cheaper alternative, and will give you a nice finish, especially followed by Traditional wax.

Have fun here!

Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    G'day Milo,
    First bit of advice......are you typing your posts into some microsoft stuff and then pasting??? it keeps giving us silly smilies at each carraige return.
    Second bit:
    Welcome aboard......and have you checked out shellac, or home made Oil finishes?? Both are a good cheaper alternative, and will give you a nice finish, especially followed by Traditional wax.

Have fun here!
    Hi yes

I type my posts in word so I get the ol spell check cause my spelling is a bit of a shocker!

As mentioned I am just tinkering with cheap pine purchased from Bunnings to make a few test boxes at the moment. they have actually turned out ok so I thought I would do a light stain and give em to me mum!

what type of homemade oil brew we talking about for pine?

Milo