Default WOODWORKING QUIZ for Oct 30 04

Good Evening Friends,
    Though I know it is the 31st down there I keep getting mixed up on which day to post these quizzes. Sorry if I am, a day behind,

I have used my drill press to clamp blocks together for turning blocks, however I bent a gear in the press in doing so as they are not designed for that particular job.

What would you fellows recommend?

Respectfully,
    Ralph Jones Woodworking
    London, Ohio

Ralph,

I am having touble trying to picture what you are trying to do.

If it is laminating the blocks together, what is wrong with *G* clamps, or even a couple of housbricks to give the pressure until the glue dries.

Ken

I know a fellow who bronzed where a gear tooth was broken off and filed it to shape and it worked fine.
    I too would recommend you use a clamp next time.

Had to laminate up some pieces during a boat fit out. Last thing in the afternoon glued them up with epoxy, wrapped a few bands of masking around the lot to hold it in alignment, taped a packer top and bottom and placed it in the 60 ton hydraulic press brake the boatyard used for bending steel and ally plate. All right, all right, so most of you don't have a huge hydraulic press in your shed (why not? :confused: ) just had to throw that one in as it was the easiest glue-up I've ever done.

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

Even a couple of square timber blocks with holes drilled in the corners and threaded rod fitted would give lotsa clamp pressure without the possibility of damaging your drill again.

I have seen gear teeth built up out of bronze and it works well.
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Default WOODWORKING QUIZ ANSWER for 30 Oct 04

Good Evening Friends,
    Actually I would never use my drill press for such a thing as trying to make a clamp out of it. By the way we went off daylight time last night and I understand that you are now on it so sorry for the late post. In the future I will answer then one hour earlier for you. No wait a minute that means I will have to get up at 4:00 AM my time, I don't think so.

Rather than try to explain the answer I am going to attach the answer for you to read yourselves a well as a picture if the jig or clamp.

Thank you for your support.

Respectfully,
    Ralph Jones Woodworking
    London, Ohio