Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Car starting problems

My Toyota Camry fails to start every few months especially when it's left in the sun or it's very cold outside. I know it's not the battery, what do you think?

The battery?

Sorry mate. Only joking. What year is it? Camry's rarely play up. To put it simply you either have an electrical glitch or a fuel glitch. So is it turning over when you try and start it, or is it dead? There are a few simple tests you can do to isolate the problem. We need more info.

Ours did often also took the starter motor out replaced solenoid bearings etc they gum up and the waxy grease build up acts as an insulator bearings also collapse not allowing free movement. Since doing this only occassionally does it happen wait a moment or two and try again slow battery and cold cables in winter if really cold use a jug of hot boiling water over the battery to warm it up.

Car is 91 model. Definitely not the battery. Car eventually starts but will take 3 or 4 attempts.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    Car is 91 model. Definitely not the battery. Car eventually starts but will take 3 or 4 attempts.
    same one here Tiger ours is auto

as I said if on the first attempt you dont get a result get someone to tap the starter motor with a hammer while your turning the key works everytime this shows that the bearing is either gummed up or collapsed

other option is key is wearing badly and not getting a connection

If what you're saying is that when you turn the key for the first few times it doesn't respond, and then suddenly it does, then I agree with Wheelin' with the additional suggestion of checking out the earth connection for the starter motor.

You might need a relay to be fitted in the cable going to the starter motor solenoid. I had same problem with a '91 sv21 wagon. Any auto electrician will know about this common problem.
    Regards
    Endee

Sounds like it could be the starter motor, had 1 or 2 that behaved like this on various cars.

As wheelin says, it could be gummed up grease or worn solenoids.

Had a starter motor on a HJ Holden that worked perfectly when it was cold but on a hot day it laboured to turn the motor over.
    Cheers

DJ

ADMIN

Cross out whichever does not apply

The starter does not respond when you turn the key OR

The starter works but the motor does not fire
    CHRIS

Thanks guys for your replies. I cannot tell one way or the other with the starter motor. Have noticed that when there is a short time duration between trips, that the car plays up. So I can go for an hour's journey no problem, park the car and then an hour later when I try and start the car, it gives me a problem.

Local mechanic might be the go or mate who has one that starts swap the starter motor and he'll watch you drive away and never return