Hi all,

I'm not certain I have the right forum, but here's my issue: I have a Victorian double brick Terrace. The walls inside have been rough rendered over the years to hide the various cracks coming through. Due to the big dry, the cracks have been breaking through the rough render. In many cases, there is nothing directly behind the rough render, meaning that if I were to drill into the wall ( to put in a picture hook etc ), the drill bit makes a hole in the rough render and mortar poweder comes out or the rough render just crumbles.

I rough render looks very ordinary and is different in style in various places throughout the house! If I remove the rough render, which was probably installed over 20 - 30 years ago (maybe longer?), what can I expect of the wall surface below? Does the crumbling of brick and mortar indicate a major structural problem?

I have been told previously, that you simply paint the bricks with Bondcrete and that will prevent any further deterioration. Would this be enough? At what point would this be a job too big for Bondcrete?

Does anyone know of any websites / photo boards of this kind of work being done?

I can post photos if this helps!

Thanks heaps!

Roger

Read the full thread at RenovateForum.com...