Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Painting help required

G'day all,

I have finished making a TV table using paricle board and it is now time to apply a finish. I am wanting a high gloss black paint finish.

A while ago I asked about ways to fill the edges of the particle board and got some advice. I went to the local hardware store (in Japan by the way) and got some filler they use for filling holes in walls etc before painting or papering. It is basically a very wet putty that dries pretty hard. Actually it is very hard to sand. Anyway sealed all the edges and it seems to be pretty good.

So now I want to paint my creation.

Questions and advice needed:

1. For particle board, to what grit should I sand it for a paint finish? I have sanded with 100 and 120 then the last quick sanding was at 150. By the way I have to sand by hand.
    2. What is the best paint to use on particle board and a gloss finish. water based or oil based akrylic? And why?
    3. What is the best way to apply the paint, brush only, or roller? The unit's top is 1800x600mm 60 mmm thick and it has a shelf with vertical dividers under.
    4. If roller, what kind of roller?
    5. How do I apply the paint? (I have painted many things before, but in my own uneducated way) I want the top to have glass like gloss finish, so I am thinking that my normal way might not be the best. Your advice. please.
    6. I can't seem to find an undercoat here in Japan, other than metal primer. Can I just start painting on the particleboard? Or can I apply a thinned down first coat and then sand that off before applying subsequent coats? How thin?
    7. How many coats would you recommend?
    8. Do I sand between each coat to ensure it is smooth?
    9. Any advice on getting a nice smooth glass like finish????
    Thanks for any help.

Rob

1. For particle board, to what grit should I sand it for a paint finish? I have sanded with 100 and 120 then the last quick sanding was at 150. By the way I have to sand by hand. Should be ok
    2. What is the best paint to use on particle board and a gloss finish. water based or oil based akrylic? And why? Oil based or solvent based acrylic enamel - water based can cause the particleboard to swell slightly (hello, more sanding)
    3. What is the best way to apply the paint, brush only, or roller? The unit's top is 1800x600mm 60 mmm thick and it has a shelf with vertical dividers under.Spray.
    4. If roller, what kind of roller? Spray.
    5. How do I apply the paint? (I have painted many things before, but in my own uneducated way) I want the top to have glass like gloss finish, so I am thinking that my normal way might not be the best. Your advice. please.Spray.
    6. I can't seem to find an undercoat here in Japan, other than metal primer. Can I just start painting on the particleboard? Or can I apply a thinned down first coat and then sand that off before applying subsequent coats? How thin?
    7. How many coats would you recommend?
    8. Do I sand between each coat to ensure it is smooth?
    9. Any advice on getting a nice smooth glass like finish???? Wet sand with 600 - 1200 - 2000 grit paper, and finish with a car 'cut and polish' compound.

I'd be using spray paints, especially if you can't find paint there easily. I've had remarkably good results using cheap ($2.00 per can) enamel spray paints for finishing odd things in the house.

Spray on the primer, check to see how smooth it is, sand and prime more if required, then a few (3-4-5) coats of colour. I stand the spraycan in hot (70 degree) water for a while to help it atomise and pressurise.

Then use 600 and 1200 wet and dry to flatten the surface, and polish with the stuff used for compounding car paint. You can probably get to 80% of a piano finish
    - if you want more than that, I don't think particleboard is a good starting point!

Thanks for the reply...
    I will check out the spray can option.

Rob