Hi,

I have just moved in to a new place that we just bought 2wks ago. We did a bit of renovation before we moved in. Today, one of my ceramic circuit breaker trips. We replace it with the new ones with a switch. In the main power box, we have 3x16A, and 1x8A circuit breakers. The one that tripped was the 8A.

After reading more information online, and went to bunnings to get more advice, I have come to a conclusion that 8A circuit are normally for light circuit, and 16A are for power circuit. Now, this 8A circuit which tripped, was a POWER circuit. The light circuit had a 16A circuit breaker.

We had a feeling that that the 8A circuit breaker was accidentally swapped with one of the 16A circuit breaker during renovation. I remembered that they took off the 8A ceramic circuit breaker because the wire snapped. It might be that they replaced the 16A circuit breaker temporarily in to the 8A circuit. Then after they rewire the ceramic circuit breaker, they forgot to put it in to its original position.

So, we swapped the 8A and 16A circuit breaker. It does not trip for now. However, I am worried if I made a mistake by swapping the circuit breakers?

The one doubt I have is that we have been in the house for 2wks, and the 8A circuit breaker only tripped now. If it is overloaded it should have tripped 2wks ago. We are using the same appliances through out. 1 heater, and 1 PC. At one point, we even turned on TV and wii at the same time.

Thanks for reading.

Read the full thread at RenovateForum.com...