Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Computer users

I've got 15 years on the 'puters and I like what I do with them but I hate them. I suppose it's like a professional driver who hates cars. I want the thing to work and most of the time it does, but when it doesn't, it p!sses me off. Just spent half an hour on the phone to a guy in the US who is trying to install some of our software. The error message? "Unspecified Error". What the eff is that?

Macintosh is the Betamax of the nineties. Everyone who owns one swears by it. Most PC users are ignorant of them. Some PC users acknowledge they are better in some ways but wouldn't own one. A very few own both. Although I am honour bound to deride Macintosh, I almost bought one once - I got better.

At work, I use what I am given. At home, I do my best to stay away from them altogether.

Default Free stuff I use

For no real reason, other than sharing information here are some of my favourite free things.

Aside from OpenOffice, I also use Gimp, which is a free Image Program, which is arguably better than Photoshop. There is a windows version which takes a little tracking down, but I guarantee it is well worth effort.

I also alternate between Mozilla and Internet Explorer - for the geeks, Mozilla has a Developer Toolbar plugin, which validates HTML, CSS etc on the fly (A very nifty little tool)

For websites I develop I use a CMS (content Management System) called Postnuke, a state of the art system which, if anyone is interested, I am happy to help install and setup for free. You just need to find webspace and a domain name!

For online shops, I use OsCommerce (this has been around for a long time). Same with PostNuke happy to get people started with this if they are interested - but it does take a little more nous to get it fully functional.

Cheers
    There was a young boy called Wyatt
    Who was awfully quiet
    And then one day
    He faded away
    Because he overused White

Floorsanding in Canberra and Albury.....

Quote Originally Posted by bitingmidge
    Errr..... in my own sweet way....that's what I meant too!

Cheers,

P
    Sorry about the outburst. I've taken my medication and I feel a lot better now

Talking

[QUOTE=bitingmidge]Peter,

Three pieces of advice in ascending order of importance :

1) Before you do anything else, learn to touch type. It's not hard, even girl's can do it (sorry ladies, I'm trying to make a point here!).

I must have done something right, I completed a TAFE course in 96, Keyboard and Manuscript presentation. Before that I could search and destroy at about 40 words a min. After the course I still did around the 40 but with 98% accuracy. I also completed 'Short Stories for Publication" with OTEN but that is another yarn.
    I got some good advice from yous blokes. I just ignored the battle of the Big Macs, do you have fries with that?
    I build some nice furniture (That's what people tell me) without refering to any plans other than the final picture that sits in my head so I am a this goes with that and that goes with this thinker, which can be applied to my computering.
    I might even do a TAFE course on computers but usually these courses have too much stuff that you never use. That is a waste of time for me as I do have a computer as a hobby, and a tool to talk to you nice people.
    Thanks for the input
    Peter R.
    Last edited by Peter R; 15th October 2004 at 06:23 PM. Reason: 2% inaccurate

Default Free Stuff I have found

If you want Word compatibility, .doc files etc. try ABIword from www.abisource.com - completely free and doesn't do things that some Gates slave thinks you should be doing with your text.
    Graeme

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

I think that Mr Gates and others have deliberatley generated a lot of manufactured mystery in an effort to boost revenue from help lines, programmes etc.
    Most programmes I use are straightforward and even an old fly fishing friend of mine who is now 84 gets on with PC and Mac, albeit with a couple of calls to ask how to get into something.
    It's a bit like driving a new car, everything is there but you've just got to find where it's hidden, classic example, how the hell do you change the time on the radio, no two are ever the same.
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by Iain
    It's a bit like driving a new car, everything is there but you've just got to find where it's hidden, classic example, how the hell do you change the time on the radio, no two are ever the same.
    What!!. You mean you can change it . All these years driving around thinking its T minus 1 min 42 sec

Cheeerrrsss
    Squizzy

"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all" {screamed by maths teacher in Year 8}