Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: table top

Post Thanks / Like

Default table top

I have an old, (not antique) table, when given to me the top was nailed to the frame, and the boards had seperated and the owner before me had filled them with what appears to be car putty.

Over time this has broken and fallen apart leaving a large gap. Afetr putting up with it for some time i decided to rip the top off and join it.
    Having done this i have joined the top to the fram with timber buttons, so as to allow for future movement.

I had moved from near Coffs harbour (currently under water) to Near Mildura, dry as the proverbial. and as a result the timber has cracked rather badly on one of the boards due to being nailed down

I have attached a couple of pics and you can see the crack, what would be the best way to hide this, if any. your help is appreciatted.
    whale oil beef hooked

Post Thanks / Like

Loosen the buttons and re glue it if it is warped wet the boards first to straighten them but don't tighten buttons right up allow more of a floating top and she should be apples.

Cheers

Steve
    Discover your Passion and Patience follows.
    www.fineboxes.com.au

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Steve.

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen this happen before when wood that's unable to move shrinks. Depending on where and how it's is restrained (I think I can see more securing fixtures in the pics) it will more than likely do this in another place.

My answer, remove the top. I'd then saw out the crack and re glue the top (you'll loose a little in the width, you can live with that or if you can match it inset another piece) then refit it properly so that it can move with seasonal moisture changes.
    Dragonfly
    No-one suspects the dragonfly!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with dr4gOnfly, I would remove the top and re-saw right along the crack so hardly any loss of width. In fact not much more than the width of the saw blade.
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John

Post Thanks / Like

why dont u try a fey butterfly keys ?? ads character and is stronger than just regluing ?