Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Finishing wood in contact with food

This has probably been done more times than I have had breakfast, but. I have read in various journals that Mineral oil is the preferred finish for items in contact with food. I tried a search on these threads but didn't have much luck. However, there are a few threads stating that Parafin oil is the best option as it will not go rancid.. The question is, are they the same thing or are they different?

Bevan

Parafin Oil is mineral oil in Australia, mineral oil is US term.

In the UK parafin oil refers to fuel oil.

Thank you!!!!

In the US, paraffin is like candle wax. It is used for sealing jelly and jam jars.

For cutting boards you need to melt it and pour it on, let it set and scrap of the excess
    and rub it real good, This needs to be repeated from time to time. As needed.

We call it parafin wax in Australia Papa.

It is good to melt a bit of parafin wax (or beeswax) into your oil and apply

i make chopping boards all the time, i just use vegetable oil. i dont like the idea of any petroleum products near my food thanks.

Do your research before continuing to use vegetable oils, you can poison people.

Parrafin is unlike vegetable oils, it does not have a shelf life, thus it never goes rotten, like vegetable oils can.
    Look at the use by date on the oil you put on the boards, you will see most have shelf life well short of a year, in a sealed container, much less when open to the air as in chopping boards.

walnut oil is a good one for wood in contact with food. I use a walnut oil beeswax combo.

Yep, I use walnut oil (100%) and it doesn't go rancid. Pour it on the board and rub it in with a paper towel. Wipe off excess after 10 mins. Leave for 24 hours. I go through that process about 4-6 times. After the last time I leave the board for a couple of weeks before use.

Walnut oil is OK if you know were the board is going, otherwise you take the risk of nut allergies.

A customer of mine has a son that reacts violently to peanut oil. She uses a wooden spoon of mine and a bread board, both finished with walnut oil.
    Jim
    Sometimes in the daily challenges that life gives us, we miss what is really important...

Good luck or good management?

Its a risk I would not have been prepared to take.

I have googled this nut allergies thing before doing mine and a significant number of experts (medical) referencing actual experiments were of the view that a chopping board finished with walnut oil (and left for a couple of weeks before use) isn't going to trigger anaphylactic shock even in people with a walnut-specific allergy. So my decision to use walnut oil was informed IMHO.