Hi All,

I need some help sizing my new balcony joists.
i am about to reinstate a cantilever balcony to the 1st floor of my Victorian terrace in Sydney. The Balcony will protrude 1000mm from the house, and be supported entirely by the new floor joists. I spoke to an engineer, who advised a ratio of 3:1 cantilever, with new joists to be bolted to existing ceiling joists at intervals of 600mm, at a spacing of 450mm between joists (that is the existing spacing of existing ceiling joists), He seems very vague on the details of the new joists, and was suguesting Hyspan at 170x45. I would much prefer either hardwood or treated pine joists. The Existing ceiling joists are 200x50 oregon timber. The balcony will support a hardwood floor, aluminium lace railing and panels, and a corugated iron roof. The balcony will measure 5500wx1000d.

Can anyone advise what size joists i should use, and an appropriate F rating? I have looked for span tables, but can only find them for Plywood joists, and because they will be visible from below, i would prefer to use timber.

Thanks Ben

Read the full thread at RenovateForum.com...