Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default A bsic question- varnish over oil?

I have finished a small side table and am ready to apply a finish. It is ulin wood-tropical hard wood. We will probably use coasters etc. but just in case I need a durable fiinish against water or drinks

I like the dark colour that just an oil finish (watco oil) gives but it will be used for placing drinks on, so I was unsure of the just oil for this application. Probably end up with water stains.???? (Would just applying a few coats of wax be OK over the oil?)

So to get a better finish I thought I would apply a varnish or poly over. Can I put varnish over an oil finish?
    A sample with some laquor directly on the wood (no oil) showed that the wood didn't darken up very much like the oil finish.

Any advice is welcome.

Rob

I have for many years used a polyurethane coating with danish oil rubbed on with oooo steel wool. Both the our dining table and coffee table have survived 20 years of abuse without the use of coasters. Both have survived the eternal circle from drink glasses with simply a reviver of a fresh rub of danish oil.
    Jim
    Sometimes in the daily challenges that life gives us, we miss what is really important...

Mirotone have a finishing oil that is suitable for applying under varnishes/polyurethanes/lacquers.

You have to let the oil dry atleast 24-48 hrs (depending on temp) before your coat it with solvent based finishes.

I also like to use Haarlem oil (type of danish oil blend available in NZ) before polyurethane finishes.

Thanks for the input.

So I think I will put on the oil finish to get the colour and look I want and then try a film finish over that for the top.