Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default I too had an accident this weekend

You know they put those safety switches on saws for a reason...well i bought my 10" skil from a friend and knew the switch had a problem, well i was going to set up the saw for a 1/4" cut and was holding a 3" x 12" x 1/4" spacer against the blade, reached for the fence lock handle and bumped the switch....well here is the results.....be warned very graphic....

so now i have to have the piece of bone removed from my middle finger and a pin put in. so please fix anything that is even the slightest broke

...nasty papachino...nasty...but you still have your fingers.
    Just thought I would wade into this discussion with my own opinion.
    I prefer, practice and teach any young paduwans under my care, to always have the blade the barest minimum above the workpiece, 5mm max.
    Reason... if you are going to have an accident, I would rather a 5mm cut, than missing fingers because of a high blade. Yes I realise 5mm can do a lot of damage as well.
    If it increases the risk of kickback by having a low blade, in other folks opinion, so be it.
    I would rather have a few stitches in my side than loose a few fingers.
    As a matter of fact, I would rather not have any injuries, that's why my machines and power tools are well setup and maintained.
    35 years as a carpentologist has at least taught me that.

Glenn