Thread: Hey everyone

Default Hey everyone

Hey guy's just a quick introduction. My name is Pete and i live in Sydney. My main reason for joining this forum is to get into a bit of wood turning. I am a passionate fisherman and i am hoping to turn up my own lure's.

I havent touched a lathe since i was in high school which would have been about 12 years ago. Any advice on a good beginner lathe and tool's would be great. Also does anyone know of any beginner night time course's in Sydney preferably around the Padstow area that might help me out a bit?

Thanks in advanced.

Thumbs up

G'day Pete and welcome to the reel world.

Have a mate who buys kits from Alvey and turns up sidecast reels. Lures would be interesting as I suppose they would require some off centre work.

Hi Pete...welcome to the club

If lures are all your planning on turning, a midi-lathe would do you just fine
    Cheers,
    Ed

Do something that is stupid and fun today, then run like hell !!!

Thanks guy's.

This might sound like a stupid question but whats the difference between a normal lathe and a midi lathe?

Hi Pete, and welcome to the forum. Not sure what qualifies a lathe to be a midi lathe other than its size. I think it may relate to the length of the bed. There is the mini lathe which is for smaller work like pen turning and small bowls etc. Next comes the midi lathe which is larger than the mini lathe but not sure where the mini stops and the midi begins. lol. and at some stage or other it is no longer called a midi lathe but just a lathe.
    I am sure someone will be able to give more information than I can.
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John

Thanks for that. I was thinking that would be the case but just wanted to make sure.