Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Forum faux pas?

Quote Originally Posted by Sturdee View Post
    I tend to disagree with you. If you look at Neill's post you can see that he wasn't very happy, to the extend that he was shouting, with the poster asking a question again when it has been covered a lot of times before.

From that I infer that there are times when an instruction to do a search without any further details is appropriate.

Personally I don't do it anymore as I can't be bothered posting when it's obvious that a search will give the answer, often in a pararell thread, eg the recent GMC threads running concurrently.

Peter.
    Go down another few posts and you will see the apology.

Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    Go down another few posts and you will see the apology.

I forgot about that just did a search on do a search by Ubeaut to show result as posts, maybe I should have reread the whole thread.

Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturdee View Post
    I forgot about that just did a search on do a search by Ubeaut to show result as posts, maybe I should have reread the whole thread.

Peter.
    And you dug up an old thread.

If everyone searched for an anwer before asking you'd be very bored bunnies

what annoys me, is those who post a Q, get a detailed and carefully thought out answer or even a personal visit and not so much as a ta very much in response.

that's common
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

wow u guys been busy. lol.
    I've been pouring concrete into the footings for the shed i'm building at home here.
    When i said the 'use the forum search engine' type post i was referring to instances when thats pretty much all there is in the post. I've suggested someone do a search before myself but not before a quick rundown on what i know or just a few pointers if i am in a hurry. But i would never for a moment demand a reply or a more detailed explanation on the spot. Nor would i ever expect it to be a 'deleteable' offence.
    I'm all for free speach within the bounds common to most forums. I've been round enough years, on enough forums to know that it takes all sorts of people in all sorts of mood to make the world go round. If someone seams a bit abrupt/ etc to me or others it means nothing to me. I understand that some people are in a hurry or having a bad day or are from a different culture or any of another million little differences.
    Just because a post 'burns my butt' doesn't mean i'm going to flame someone or start a vendeta or even igonore any of their future posts.

Its just my simple opinion that posts that just say 'use the forum search engine' or 'have u heard of a search engine?' & a dozen others we've all read are really pretty much useless. Unless its being suggested to a newbe, & in which case it defenately should be done much more politely, otherwise its pretty much a useless statement. If someone isn't a newbe then of course they know of & have used the search function.
    It makes me feel like posting back 'thanks for stating the obvious' but of course i never would because for 1 it doesn't actually me off enough to reply & it could easily start off a pissing contest that i have no interest in messing round with.
    I just don't see the point in banging my fingers on the keyboard just to say 'use the search engine' & nothing more.
    If i'm in a hurry & its a noob question i just won't post because i know that there are plenty of others who may not be in a hurry & are happy to point them in the right direction.
    If its a topic i have a particular interest or input in i'll make the time.
    I'm not a big poster, i tend to mainly only post when i feel i that i can actually have an input on a topic & given my newness to the field of woodworking means that i tend not to post alot. lol. But i do read & i do search, infact i love to search, i'll read for hours on here & other forums on various topics of interest to me.
    Sometimes i'll post what could be considered relative noob question (its not a noob question to a noob its new info, pure gold) to help clarify my days searching & talking to mates etc. I'm the sort who likes to work blind but with a heap of opinions from mates, teachers, forums etc hopefully with some of them the same or similar (more often not! lol). That way i can formulate a fix or a plan in a way that works best in my head. When i post a question i'm hunting for info, i'm craving information, its a literal hunger. I'm not hunting game on the range i'm hunting information on the internet. lol.
    I'm sure i'm not alone, in fact i'd be suprised if most of us arn't just like that now or at some time in our lives.

Quote Originally Posted by silentC View Post
    If that seems foolish to you, well at the end of the day, you're the one asking the question, it's no skin off my nose. But if that's what you want, I'll quite happily ignore any future questions you might post
    SilentC i am not fool enough to be happy if u chose to ignore any of my future questions, you have far more experence that i do. To do so would be a case of cutting my nose off to spite my face, & i like my nose thank you very much. But it would also be no skin off that very same nose if you chose to not give me your valued input, that's the beauty of this site & the internet in general - wheres there 1 opinion there's a thousand.
    To be honest this whole business is bordering on silly & i probably wouldn't have worried about replying but for the fact that there was almost 2 pages of posts waiting for me when i came in, many referring to my earlier post.
    But what the hell, the whole topic is based on purely personal preferences & that's fine & interesting, differing preferences are always interesting. So SilentC if you want to suggest that i do a search then feel free to suggest away, i don't really care that much how u put it as long as its not physically imposible or morrally impolite.
    In my 13mths on this site i have found everyone on this site to be a genuinely helpful bunch of guys & girls, some who get a bug up their butts over the straingest things sometimes & thats fine, thats what gives forums a life of their own.

1 translation note for this post, & in fact in most of my posts, it was said with a tone & a heart of general levity & lightness.
    Thats the bad thing about sites like this & the internet in general, you can't hear a persons tone when they post. If it offends me or just burns my butt i usually just don't reply because theres a very good chance that i have misconstrued them in the first place. And if i didn't misconstrue them & they were perhaps giving me just a little singe, then replying will probably lead to more of the same so whats the point?

Boy what a mouthfull!

Quote Originally Posted by Rossluck View Post
    And you dug up an old thread.
    But only as a reference. At least I didn't post in that thread again.

Peter.