Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Hi All!

Question Hi All!

My first posting so will take some getting used too. Does anybody have any expertise on Toona Ciliata or Australian Red Cedar as it is more commonly known? I have a reasonable quantity of planks and wish to have some of them made into kitchen and bathroom bench tops possibly also cupboard doors.
    Cheers D

Welcome D, you'll get lots of answers here.
    IAMNOWHERE
    My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Thumbs up

G'day darandae and welcome to the true fountain of knowledge and wisdom.

Some tips on Toona:
    can be difficult to finish as it tends to get furry when sanded son you will need to be patient.
    Dust can be irritating to some people so wear a mask.
    Glues very well.
    Seal with sanding sealer -2 or 3 coats- as it is very porous and then finish with a quality poly or pack to stop water ingress.

Default Thanks BF

Is that your dog, he is hansome. I guess being from Canada you havent had much to do with ARC. What is your involvment with the timber industry? Ive had more to do with growing trees than woodcraft but am hoping to learn.
    Cheers D

Default Australian Red Cedar

Thanks Artme,
    Does the timber wear well in a kitchen or bathroom environment if prepared and treated properly. Ive seen kitchen bench tops crafted from this batch of timber in a kitchen now about 2 years old and it still looks great, lovelly deep rich red hues but how does it age say over 10 years.
    Cheeers D

Thumbs up

Never seen a bench top that old but plenty of other furniture And it stands up pretty well,despite being softish.
    My son has a Red Cedar Table that has withstood use and a little abuse (grandkids climbing on it, putting toys on it etc.) and it is in perfect condition.
    I guess it's like anything, good sensible treatment will always be better than careless rough treatment.

Don't forget to coat both sides with sealer and finish and pay particular attention to end grain.

Default ARC Advice

Hi Artme,
    I guess its the same with most things if its prepared right and looked after it will last a lot better and longer than otherwise. I must admit the kitchen I was talking about has copped a hammering and still looks great. Thanks for the advice
    Cheers D

Welcome to the forum
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John

Hi John,
    They defy that old gravity law?? Well you know I havent actually seen one that Ive recognised as such. Have you? So maybe they do fall through floors. There we go basing all our knowledge on what comes out of hollywood. How are you? Apart from the activities of our paranormal ghosty friends what intersests you in the solid world of timber and such like.
    Cheers D